• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

I saw a few Wake prospects at Pangos this weekend:

-Devon Dotson is the real deal. It's a shame that we don't have a chance anymore because he's going to be an elite college point guard.

-Isaiah Muicius doesn't strike me as a power forward at all. He played a majority of the time on the perimeter, brought the ball up the floor, showed some ability to shoot and create, etc. It was an all-star game setting, but he wasn't impressive at all trying to play post defense and looked impatient when things weren't moving through him. He's really raw, but he reminds me a bit of Jonathan Isaac at the same stage.

-I only saw Antwann Jones play for a few minutes, so I don't have a lot to say about him, but he looks the part, moved the ball around nicely, and communicated well on the defensive end of the floor.

-Bryce Wills seems like he's a lock to stay in the northeast, but he's a nice combo-guard prospect in his own right. A lot of athleticism and creativity.

-Darius Days wasn't very impressive in the game that I watched .

-I liked what I saw from Tony Goodwin:

Not everybody who is at Pangos entered the Cerritos College gym with a big reputation. For class of 2018 shooting guard Tony Goodwin, a reputation wasn't necessary because the athletic 6-foot-4 wing's high running motor and outstanding perimeter defense allowed him to stand out. Let's face it, not many players want to defend in a free wheeling camp setting like you see at Pangos. However, Goodwin got after it like he was playing in a state title game. Goodwin doesn't play with a travel team but the North Bethesda (Md.) Walter Johnson standout says that he's heard from Stanford, West Virginia, Florida, Wake Forest and Virginia.

He reminded me a lot of LD. I'm predicting that he will make a name for himself this summer.

(I didn't have a chance to see Ayo Dosunmu, Cole Anthony, Elias King, Ismael Massoud, and Will Richardson.)

Last edited:
Jamie Lewis a 4 star 2018 pg is visiting Wake tomorrow. Plays for the Georgia Stars and is ranked top 80 on 247.

Seems like the new assistant coach is getting us in with some new names. 247 has him as a KU lean.

Why did he ask for a release? Has he improved greatly?

From an article dated May 18 -

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2017...l-golf-ncaa-tournament-stephen-ponder-resigns

Strange rumblings this week out of Andy Kennedy’s hoops shop as three-star signee Parker Stewart reportedly asked for a release from his national letter of intent, but apparently hasn’t fully communicated that to AK and Ole Miss. According to Antonio Morales and Ben Garrett, Stewart has expressed desire to opt out of his commitment, but it’s unclear whether the university knows that yet.

In any case, should Stewart in fact bolt — and he most likely will, it seems — he’d become the third domino in a string of sour grapes for AK’s outfit, beginning with the head man himself. Kennedy, recall, was not extended on his contract this year, as Ross Bjork opted to take a wait-and-see approach on AK’s performance this coming season.

Just a week after that news, longtime Kennedy assistant Bill Armstrong jumped ship for LSU, a lateral move to work under a first-year head coach next season. Ben Garrett maintains that Armstrong was seeking out better job security in the wake of AK’s non-extension, a reasonable if rather mercenary thing to believe.

Armstrong’s departure, then, cut out one of the lead recruiters on Parker Stewart, who would have been vying for minutes with Memphis transfer Markel Crawford. Taken in tandem — loss of one’s most intimate contact on campus and an immediate position battle — one can certainly understand Stewart’s reasons for leaving, if not altogether be happy about it.

Why did he ask for a release? Has he improved greatly?

The coach that recruited him left, he is from Wyoming originally and they were a finalist, he will end up there, the have a open scholarship.

The coach that recruited him left, he is from Wyoming originally and they were a finalist, he will end up there, the have a open scholarship.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Also, if it's about competing for PT, going up against Chaundee would be more difficult that his situation at Ole Miss.

Is there a name somewhere in that?

Jarvis Thomas
6'6-6'7, 205-225, SF/PF
Class of 2018

Rivals: 3-star
Scout: NR
247: NR -- [247 Composite: 3-star, #221 overall]

From EYBL:

Jarvis Thomas is an impressive 6-9 athlete who can jump out of the gym, wreak havoc on the boards, switch defensively and protect the weak side of the rim. He’s the kind of role-playing big that nearly every high-major team outside of the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world could use. There’s some Jordan Bell to his game, and it's hard to believe there are anywhere near 220 players in his high school class better than he is.

He had offers from Iowa State, Marquette, and Arizona State before receiving offers from Texas A&M and Pittsburgh this spring. He will definitely boost his prospects over the summer.

Last edited:
Anything to the recent offer storm to 3* PFs? Still just covering the bases?

Anything to the recent offer storm to 3* PFs? Still just covering the bases?

That's a good question. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these guys rise in the rankings. In addition to the quotation that I posted above re: Thomas, here is a recent article on Tyrese Samuel (3-star, #28 PF on Scout):

An under the radar but productive power forward in the 2018 class is Tyrese Samuel. An import from Canada, Samuel is thriving this year at Riverdale Baptist in Maryland, and he showed off his impressive skill at the Metro Classic.

“It has been a long year, and we have lost a few games, but we have tried to execute and get better throughout the year,” said Samuel of his junior year. “We are starting to play well as a team, and just getting better.”

He continued, “I am working on my strength and being more aggressive going to the basket.”

On the recruiting trail Samuel has flown a bit below the radar of most high-major programs, but he is beginning to add interest.

“Virginia Tech, Towson, Temple, and George Mason are the schools I’ve heard from the most,” noted Samuel.

While at this point no school has offered, Virginia Tech was in attendance to watch Samuel on Saturday, and he is impressed with the program in Blacksburg.

“It is a really big program that does well in the ACC,” said Samuel of Virginia Tech. “I don’t know a ton else about them really, but it is a good program.”

For now Samuel seems in no hurry to make a college decision, and is content to play out the spring and summer on the AAU circuit with Brookwood Elite.

and an article on Darius Days:

2018 combo forward Darius Days had a strong weekend at the Under Armour Association, scoring a total of 99 points and connecting on 15 of 28 three-point attempts in four games. In the game we took in, Days scored 24 points and was 6-for-9 from three. Days, who stands 6-foot-6, obviously impacted the game with his jump shot, but he also played with toughness, went to the glass and competed on both ends of the floor. It was an eye opening performance from Days, who has been drawing interest from high major schools.

Recruiting: LSU, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, USC, Memphis

We offered right around the time this article was published. I forget where Days was in the rankings, but he is actually a 4-star on Scout now (#22 PF) and a 3-star (#113 overall) on Rivals.

None of these guys look elite going into the summer by the rankings, but all three have generated significant interest from analysts this spring and have seen their national profiles rise. It's definitely worth watching. You would have to think that Collins's decision to go pro has influenced this somewhat, as the timing works out and I doubt Manning could have anticipated his rise last summer.

A 6'6/7 PF is not as desirable as a 6'9 one. Which is he?

I don't know, but there have plenty of elite 6'6/6'7 PFs at the collegiate level, including John Collins's nemesis Zach LeDay. I wouldn't necessarily be turned off by his size.

Last edited:
JC is listed at 6'9 1/2 at the Combine with shoes. That's how HS guys are typically listed. And many HS guys are listed taller than they are, you know this.

Strickland, why won't you tell us how tall Jarvis Thomas really is instead of trying to cover up his obvious dwarfism ?

JC is listed at 6'9 1/2 at the Combine with shoes. That's how HS guys are typically listed. And many HS guys are listed taller than they are, you know this.

I know, RJ. I've never seen the kid in person and, to my knowledge, there aren't official measurements anywhere. I'm not claiming to know his true height; I'm just posting what exists on the internet because it's hard to tell who he is from his Twitter handle.

Strickland, why won't you tell us how tall Jarvis Thomas really is instead of trying to cover up his obvious dwarfism ?

#jarvisthomascantmeltsteelbeams

We definitely need a true PF for next year. I just can't see too many minutes with two of Doral, SJM, and Sarr on the floor.

Back