• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Let's just see what happens. A lot can happen between now and Saturday. On the ayo subject, hopefully he enjoys our visit so much that he cancels with Illinois. Otherwise, I guess the only thing to do is wait for a late bloomer later this fall/winter.

There's also Jaime Lewis as well, who WF has contacted since his decommitment. He plans to commit in the Spring.

Ayo personally seems like a recruit who really appreciates support from fan bases on social media. It reminds me a lot of Kwe back in the 2016 cycle, RT and liking a ton of posts from fans of the schools he's considering. Sadly Illinois will always beat us in that regard, they seem to have 20+ fans on tweeting at him a day telling him he'll be a legend for them. Considering where most people thought the UI stood in his recruitment a month ago (including Illinois blogs themselves not feeling good about it) and where most people consider them now, I think that fan support has definitely been a factor for him.

I want both Ayo and Devoe. If we don't get either, then I feel confident that Manning and the staff will use that spot wisely or hold it for the next season (and use it on a post grad). We have an incredible class already. It would be epic with another top notch addition like Devoe or Ayo or Laszewski. If we get none of those three I am still ecstatic about our class of Wright, Hoard, and Mucius. We will see what DeVoe does this weekend, but the Evan Daniels tweet is a discouraging weather vane.

My comment was not related to Meyer or Daniels predictions but came from a trusted contact and I do I understand and agree generally with your point about the uncertainty of recruiting. Making bets is not my thing but I feel very confident about this particular info, you of course have the right to totally ignore my comment as does everyone else and I promise it won't hurt my feelings. :eek:

I was speaking generally but was including your post as well. Don't think I saw you mention in that post that you had a source saying Devoe to GT. Sucks if that's the case.

That being said, we had well placed, trusted sources saying Giles was a done deal.

Isn't Wright a PG or at least a CG? And isn't there talk that things are looking really good with at least one 2019 PG? If so, it seems that we aren't desperate to find another 2018 PG if Devoe and Ayo fall through.

Allegedly we have a 19 PG in the bag, a la Hoard.

I would LOVE to get Devoe or Ayo, but if Bryant returns, we are in excellent shape anyway.

Ayo personally seems like a recruit who really appreciates support from fan bases on social media. It reminds me a lot of Kwe back in the 2016 cycle, RT and liking a ton of posts from fans of the schools he's considering. Sadly Illinois will always beat us in that regard, they seem to have 20+ fans on tweeting at him a day telling him he'll be a legend for them. Considering where most people thought the UI stood in his recruitment a month ago (including Illinois blogs themselves not feeling good about it) and where most people consider them now, I think that fan support has definitely been a factor for him.

Illinois fan here who got the link to your board sent my way because of the Ayo stuff. I didn't know there could be a group of fans as nuts as Illini fans (In a good way, I think?) Not here to stir stuff but wanted to give you guys the midwest perspective on Ayo. The belief around here is that Illinois has pretty much always been the leader and that position has only strengthened in recent weeks. It has always been perceived as an Illinois/Xavier battle and Illinois has pulled ahead lately. Not saying he won't go to Wake, but the buzz around here has always been that Wake/USC/others have always been on the periphery of this.

Illinois fan here who got the link to your board sent my way because of the Ayo stuff. I didn't know there could be a group of fans as nuts as Illini fans (In a good way, I think?) Not here to stir stuff but wanted to give you guys the midwest perspective on Ayo. The belief around here is that Illinois has pretty much always been the leader and that position has only strengthened in recent weeks. It has always been perceived as an Illinois/Xavier battle and Illinois has pulled ahead lately. Not saying he won't go to Wake, but the buzz around here has always been that Wake/USC/others have always been on the periphery of this.

He's their Hoard

He's their Hoard

Ya I think that's fair. Also worth noting that new Assistant Coach Chin Coleman has a great relationship with Ayo's family. Chin is the former director of Ayo's AAU program, he's good friends with the current leaders of that AAU program and Ayo's dad is one of his best friends.

Anthony Harris 6.3 top 75 pg from va. is the 2019 player that we are in great shape with last we heard.

I don't think we take a 2018 PG besides Ayo, Devoe, or Lewis if the staff feels like Wright or Woods can run PG behind Childress if Crawford leaves.

Guys don't worry about it. If we don't get either guy we will be OK. Look back, we thought not getting Harry was the end of he world and look how that turned out. I have faith in DM and staff- We are going to be good again

This board never ceases to amaze me in its ability to jump to negative conclusions at the first sign of trouble. Y'all are writing off Devoe because GT's version of KVegas has #sauces and some dude we shit on half the time just changed his crystal ball.

The college recruiting prognostication game is too full of bullshit to base any conclusions off of it. Just chill out and wait til Saturday

Wanna bet $100 that Devoe doesn't end up at Wake?

I don't think we take a 2018 PG besides Ayo, Devoe, or Lewis if the staff feels like Wright or Woods can run PG behind Childress if Crawford leaves.

We think there's a possibility Crawford leaves for the NBA? He would need to have a spectacular year to work his way into the 1st round of the draft. He'd need a real good one to just work into the 2nd round

A group of fan as nuts as Illinois fans? Lol I grew up and live in Chicago, and while the Illinois fanbase is a good one, there are plenty of other equal, if not better, college basketball fan bases. That said, I do think Ayo ends up at U of I.

Ya I think that's fair. Also worth noting that new Assistant Coach Chin Coleman has a great relationship with Ayo's family. Chin is the former director of Ayo's AAU program, he's good friends with the current leaders of that AAU program and Ayo's dad is one of his best friends.

Nothing like an AAU hire to help with recruiting! Sort of TIC haha, because there's nothing technically wrong about it, and I know a ton of programs do it (see Mizzou). Thanks for providing that context though. Seems like Ayo is ILL's to lose.

We think there's a possibility Crawford leaves for the NBA? He would need to have a spectacular year to work his way into the 1st round of the draft. He'd need a real good one to just work into the 2nd round

I think you might be underestimating Crawford a bit. He has an NBA body, can score in multiple ways, good handles, good vision, etc.

He will be projected mid-2nd round at the latest. I anticipate him leaving this year unless he sees a chance for us to make a deep run in 2018 and wants to be a part of it.

Allegedly we have a 19 PG in the bag, a la Hoard.

I would LOVE to get Devoe or Ayo, but if Bryant returns, we are in excellent shape anyway.

This.

If Crawford stays 18-19 has the makings of a championship contender, especially if one of the C's turns into something special.

If not, I think Chill is capable of running a team where he isn't being called on to score a lot. A lineup of Chill, Chaundee, Hoard, Mucius, Moore with Woods, Sarr, Eggleston, Wright, and SJM off the bench could still be really good, though it puts much more pressure on Hoard.

Back