• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

I think you're right. I actually meant the guys on the team- Craw Woods and anyone else who joined for dinner.
There might be some new small wrinkle that I'm missing in the 2014-15 changes to NCAA athlete food regulations, but I'm near positive that the players would have had to pay for their own meals. However, the players may be receiving a per diem for food so that they could have purposely saved up some for this express purpose.

Last edited:
There might be some new small wrinkle that I'm missing in the 2014-15 changes to NCAA athlete food regulations, but I'm near positive that the players would have had to pay for their own meals. However, the players may be receiving a per diem for food so that they could have purposely saved up some for this express purpose.

There used to be some flexibility in this, but it has been a long time and I don't really remember the rules. I HIGHLY doubt that Manning would be bending any in the current NCAA environment. Hope that everyone had a great meal. I feel like Ayo should be ours. Don't know if he will be, but it is the most logical conclusion to his choices right now.

Does the ncaa allow a team to invite x number of current player (s) to the dinner and pay so the prospect is not just eating with adults? Seems like the kid (s) assigned to take him around would get dinner paid for. Not the whole team. This is the ncaa though.

I disagree. Wake athletes support each other well, which I suspect happens to some degree at most schools, and they're often at soccer games. Last night was #6 Clemson at #2 Wake, with 5000 fans, and ended with a double OT sudden death goal for Wake. For the students, soccer games are a party, as they can sit on the hill, drink, and hang out. Seems like a great way to start a Friday night.

not to mention that 1/3 of our hoops team (next year) comes from counties where soccer is still the main sport

Does the ncaa allow a team to invite x number of current player (s) to the dinner and pay so the prospect is not just eating with adults? Seems like the kid (s) assigned to take him around would get dinner paid for. Not the whole team. This is the ncaa though.

When Sarr was on his official, we saw him and Hoard and Hoards coach and at least 6 or 7 players. About 14 people total. It was a very nice restaurant, maybe the old Staleys steakhouse?

I disagree. Wake athletes support each other well, which I suspect happens to some degree at most schools, and they're often at soccer games. Last night was #6 Clemson at #2 Wake, with 5000 fans, and ended with a double OT sudden death goal for Wake. For the students, soccer games are a party, as they can sit on the hill, drink, and hang out. Seems like a great way to start a Friday night.

WF soccer is objectively the best example of a consistently competitive D1 athletic program among the 3 schools competing. Sure, USC has a legendary, big money fotball program, but its been a while since they consistently contended for a title, and even then had to resort to shady dealings to do so. Its crazy to think we shouldn't showcase a top-10 showdown of our most successful athletic program to an elite athlete who wants to compete at the highest level.

That said, I've never recruited an elite athlete like the rest of you have.

Fratellis is the restaurant of choice for officials as it has good food, atmosphere and close to campus

no offense to the soccer nerds, but if Wake took a big time hoops recruit to a soccer game on a Friday night then , well, we aren't going to get that recruit.

You start a Friday night with a dinner at the best place in town. Then, you go to a party.

The only reasons to go to a soccer game are if the recruit expressed an interest in soccer or if it was a conference championship game with a large crowd.

What weird fucking takes.

I wonder if they would ask the recruit if he'd want to go to a soccer game? Are they allowed to set the schedule based on his interests?

What weird fucking takes.

Not really. Most 17 year old kids who don't play soccer most likely don't want to sit down for 3+ hours to watch a game, regardless of the matchup or atmosphere. Besides, if he was at the game and we didn't do a "we want Ayo" chant or "why not us", then we are doing it all wrong.

Not really. Most 17 year old kids who don't play soccer most likely don't want to sit down for 3+ hours to watch a game, regardless of the matchup or atmosphere. Besides, if he was at the game and we didn't do a "we want Ayo" chant or "why not us", then we are doing it all wrong.

Again, I don't have the recruiting experience that some here seem to have. Maybe Pitino was right after all. Blowjobs win championships.

wasn't the game over by like 8 PM? what party is going on at 8 PM? they went to dinner after and then who knows. and how much is there to do with a high school kid over a weekend? i'm pretty sure we took the #1 recruit in the nation to a volleyball game.

Going to a soccer game or other sporting event just another way to showcase the college experience. You don't need to stay the whole time. If they dropped in for the second half and were able to say "look at the support for soccer. Soccer. Wait till basketball season." That can only help.

This is what ended up getting Jim Harrick fired at UCLA. Steve Lavin ratted Harrick out for inviting the entire to team to a dinner at Monty's during the Collins' twins official visit. It's NCAA rules.

After the fantastic soccer game tonight, my wife and I went to dinner. Saw Crawford, Wilbe kin and Woods leaving the restaurant with Ayo. Still around the table in a private room as we left were Danny and the rest of the coaches. There was much laughter coming from the room. That’s all I got.

I don't read this to say that Ayo was necessarily at the soccer game, only that BeachDeac saw him at the restaurant after it. Maybe he went to the game, maybe all the players and coaches went to dinner while the game was going on. Maybe BeachDeac can clarify how long he'd been at the restaurant before he saw Ayo, et al leaving. No need to freak out yet.

So we aren't going to get Ayo because we didn't take him to a soccer game with a great atmosphere and a big win.

Or we aren't going to get him because we took him to a lame soccer match for loosers and we look lame compared to the prostitutes he got at USC.

Back