• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Are we being compared - no matter how loosely - to Duke and Kentucky?

LOUI

ETA: and Luther Head/James Augustine were probably just as important as Dee Brown to those teams, if not more so. They may have played in the league longer, too.

Illini fanbase sounds horrible

Sounds like the pitch we were all making to Giles.Hope the outcome is analogous.

If he is as good as all they hype, he will look like he belongs on a poster of former Wake players who played in the NBA.

To be a legend at Wake, the measuring bars are high but simple.

Lead team to ACC titles - regular season and tournament.
Lead team to playing third week of NCAA tournament. AKA final four.

As things look now, those should be difficult but attainable goals for the 2018-2019 Wake team with Ayo on it.

An Ode to Ayo

Five-star guard Ayo Dosunmu visits Champaign this weekend!

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/20...n-horton-tucker-landers-nolley-brad-underwood

The best part is the lone comment.

Only a select few can be legends

Ayo can go to Wake Forest and be another good player or he can come here and be a legend. A Dee Brown/Deron Williams/Nick Anderson/Kenny Battle or Kendall Gill type player. Us old timers (50) remember the great ones at Illinois and always will. They had the guts to come to a program that was trying to climb the hill and took it to the top. They are worthy of our admiration for years. Anyone can go to Kentucky or Duke and win. Winning big at Illinois makes you a legend.

Probably the nicest thing that anyone has ever said about our basketball program.

Ayo,

you CAN be a LEGEND at wake. cp3 didn't make the final 4. tim duncan didn't take wake to the final 4. can YOU?

will your team be a legend in the making or an also ran?

Too funny. Illinois fans are sinking their own ship. Maybe those players are legends in Chicago (not to mention from ages ago), but I think in the other 49 states you aren't thinking legend especially in light of players like TD and CP3. So reality is go to Illini and be a LOCAL legend or go to WF and be a national legend. Which one of those would you want to aspire to????

Are we being compared - no matter how loosely - to Duke and Kentucky?

LOUI

ETA: and Luther Head/James Augustine were probably just as important as Dee Brown to those teams, if not more so. They may have played in the league longer, too.

Illini fanbase sounds horrible

Ayo could go from being a top-15 recruit nationally to a mid-second round pick who's out of the league after 68 games!

Last time i say it on the Ayo situation but i would be shocked if Ayo picks Wake. The kid was goin to Illinois the whole time. Definitly hope my source is wrong though.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18- Mucius commits to Wake! Ayo on OV this wknd!

Last time i say it on the Ayo situation but i would be shocked if Ayo picks Wake. The kid was goin to Illinois the whole time. Definitly hope my source is wrong though.

Given how often you’ve said it, I somehow doubt it will be the last time that you say it.

I appreciate the info, though.

Ayo could go from being a top-15 recruit nationally to a mid-second round pick who's out of the league after 68 games!

Illinois is trash.

Honestly, this is a case that goes against the horseshoes and hand grenades philosophy. We weren't even in the running for Ayo until a few months ago and a long shot until recently. We offered him in May. Now we are in the top two with the school everyone thought he'd go to all along. That's pretty good.

Honestly, this is a case that goes against the horseshoes and hand grenades philosophy. We weren't even in the running for Ayo until a few months ago and a long shot until recently. We offered him in May. Now we are in the top two with the school everyone thought he'd go to all along. That's pretty good.

Definitely gives us hope that #theprocess can be used again in the future.

If Ayo wants to play where he can compete for championships while in college, he goes to Wake. If he is content with having a college career like Ben Simmons, then he goes to ILL.

2017 has been a really great year for Wake Forest basketball recruiting.

If Ayo wants to play where he can compete for championships while in college, he goes to Wake. If he is content with having a college career like Ben Simmons, then he goes to ILL.

Ayo likely cares most (and can't blame him for doing so) about getting to the NBA. the "competing for championships" slant is kind of a moot point, in my opinion.

Selling him on player development and readiness for the NBA is what Danny and staff are likely stressing.

Unless he goes to Illinois. Then it is clearly Horseshoes and Hand Grenades.

Ayo likely cares most (and can't blame him for doing so) about getting to the NBA. the "competing for championships" slant is kind of a moot point, in my opinion.

Selling him on player development and readiness for the NBA is what Danny and staff are likely stressing.

I get that.

Collins' story will definitely help. Not even considered a candidate for free agent signing as a HS player to NBA first rounder, and in the conversation as a lottery pick.

But it's a lot more fun doing the development work if you win the games you play and have a shot at championships.

I get that.

Collins' story will definitely help. Not even considered a candidate for free agent signing as a HS player to NBA first rounder, and in the conversation as a lottery pick.

But it's a lot more fun doing the development work if you win the games you play and have a shot at championships.

100%

An Ode to Ayo

Five-star guard Ayo Dosunmu visits Champaign this weekend!

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/20...n-horton-tucker-landers-nolley-brad-underwood

The best part is the lone comment.

Only a select few can be legends

Ayo can go to Wake Forest and be another good player or he can come here and be a legend. A Dee Brown/Deron Williams/Nick Anderson/Kenny Battle or Kendall Gill type player. Us old timers (50) remember the great ones at Illinois and always will. They had the guts to come to a program that was trying to climb the hill and took it to the top. They are worthy of our admiration for years. Anyone can go to Kentucky or Duke and win. Winning big at Illinois makes you a legend.

That seems to be the kind of line proffered by a weak program. Same thing as Wake/we did with Giles and Duke. As with Giles, it shouldn't be viewed as a compelling rationale.

I have trouble understanding the certainty & then our coach's willingness to travel to his house, try to wow him on an official visit, & then go back out to Chicago a 2nd time. Of course you aren't going to deny a kid of his talent level an official visit, but the 2nd trip to Chicago seems like it is coming from a coach that feels he has a shot at the verbal.

If it's development, then another morsel that Wake offers is the possibility that some part time insurance pitchman who grew up near Wake might show up to look at the new basketball facility. And he might be good for a little pick up game.

I don't care what our odds were of landing Ayo were when Manning took the second visit, but one of the things I love best about our current staff is that we aren't afraid to go after a high level recruit even if it means we end up the bridesmaid. We have been competing for top players since the day Manning arrived. He and Chill especially have scoured the country looking for great players to coach, and as our program has improved, our recruiting rankings have improved. But since day 1 we have spent recruiting equity on some high targets. We have had more misses than makes, but even in this scenario for Ayo, we have given ourselves a real opportunity to sign him, and it is a complete result of our coaching staff's work ethic on the recruiting trail. I hope that Wake Forest fans realize the level of commitment our staff is showing. There are a lot of very good coaches out there who would not be putting in the grunt work that our head coach and our associate head coach are putting in, and it is finally starting to show dividends. If we pull off this recruiting upset (and that is exactly what it would be considering where we were 4 months ago), then our staff deserves every bit of praise the fan base and our athletic department can muster (and probably every bit of a raise....). Our coaches are doing work.

Back