• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

That is a separate, independent statement from we haven't had a good graduate transfer in a while.

Right - and the clear meaning of that separate, independent statement is that Coron Williams is the last good grad transfer guard we have had - right? Isn't that what Ph said that you said? I am so confused as to what position you are trying to take here.

How long is a while ? That's the important question.
I wrote a long and discursive post about this very issue and then deleted it because I don't think people would have realized it was a joke. Sad times around this place.

Right - and the clear meaning of that separate, independent statement is that Coron Williams is the last good grad transfer guard we have had - right? Isn't that what Ph said that you said? I am so confused as to what position you are trying to take here.
Read this post, it will help:
It appears he said all three of:

1) we haven't had a good graduate transfer in a while
2) it's been years since we've had a guard
3) Coron Williams is the last good transfer guard

So it appears everyone is simultaneously correct and wrong. Perhaps the original poster should write clearer sentences. This reads like a bad syllogism.

#1 is demonstrably incorrect. #2 depends on how we classify Arians, so up for debate. #3 also dependant on how we classify Arians. Mich based his argument, reasonably in my opinion, on the first sentence of this terrible post. PhDeac based it on whatever sentence made Manning look the worst.

If Manning doesn't win this year and get into the tourney, he should be fired. Bitching about him announcing a preferred walk-on joining the team is the least of my worries. I think it is a cool gesture to recognize these guys who are going to give a massive amount of their blood sweat and tears to WFU with very little recognition and most likely very little playing time in return. What does it hurt to give them a little pub as they join the team? -the answer is nothing. It hurts nothing. Manning has plenty of faults to criticize but some of you guys just want to burn him for everything.

Ok, fair enough. I guess when I am already pretty down on the program and on Manning, I use any indication of programmatic weakness as another indicator of programmatic weakness. From one angle it looks pretty weak to be touting the new preferred walk ons, and from another angle it’s just Manning giving these kids a moment in the spot light...which is a pretty nice thing for him to do. Especially this kid from Rice who gave up a scholarship to come here.

29v6vw.jpg

Read this post, it will help:

Good lord, I don't need help reading - I read and interpret for a living. The three statements are of increasing specificity. First he says we haven't had a good graduate transfer in a while. This statement covers all players, all positions. "In a while" is vague but presumably means some number of years. The second clause of that sentence goes on to clarify that it has been years since we have had a guard. It is poorly worded and unclear but, as part of the same sentence, should be read as a clarification of the first clause - so, we haven't had any good grad transfer players in a while, and, more specifically, we haven't had a [good] guard [grad transfer] in years. I am not sure how 'in years' is different from 'in a while', but whatever. Finally, to really nail the point home, the last sentence further clarifies that, in fact, Coron Williams is the last good transfer guard we have had. So now we know the timeframe we are talking about when he says we haven't had a good guard grad transfer in years - since when Coron played.

So, in his opinion, Coron Williams was the last grad transfer guard we had that was good. Therefore he either thinks Austin was not a guard or was not good. Is there some other possible interpretation that I am missing?

BTW - this is fun to me and I am not really taking it seriously - in case there was any confusion on that point...

Good lord, I don't need help reading - I read and interpret for a living. The three statements are of increasing specificity. First he says we haven't had a good graduate transfer in a while. This statement covers all players, all positions. "In a while" is vague but presumably means some number of years. The second clause of that sentence goes on to clarify that it has been years since we have had a guard. It is poorly worded and unclear but, as part of the same sentence, should be read as a clarification of the first clause - so, we haven't had any good grad transfer players in a while, and, more specifically, we haven't had a [good] guard [grad transfer] in years. I am not sure how 'in years' is different from 'in a while', but whatever. Finally, to really nail the point home, the last sentence further clarifies that, in fact, Coron Williams is the last good transfer guard we have had. So now we know the timeframe we are talking about when he says we haven't had a good guard grad transfer in years - since when Coron played.

So, in his opinion, Coron Williams was the last grad transfer guard we had that was good. Therefore he either thinks Austin was not a guard or was not good. Is there some other possible interpretation that I am missing?

BTW - this is fun to me and I am not really taking it seriously - in case there was any confusion on that point...

Wasn't this was Mich or whoever was arguing against in the first place? That Austin Arians was a good transfer? I'm so confused what's really being argued here.

Welcome Miles Lester, Walk-on transfer from Rice
He is obviously someone who is very, very interested in being part of the Wake basketball team. If reports are accurate he reached out to Wake, initially rather than the other way around.

And he (his family) is making a pretty big financial commitment to his basketball career at Wake. Total cost of attendance at Rice is listed as just under $60k for 2017-2018. It will be at least that for 2018 - 2019 so he is giving up at least that much per year in scholarship to pay Wake $65k+ to be a basketball team walk-on at Wake.

A Pox on all of you who find fault with giving this young man a little publicity.

ETA:

The announcement got picked up by AP and the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bebd55b6b016

Last edited:
make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end

I'll also take this opportunity to note that the gray uniform is hideous

Gold uni's are sharp

black are badass

the alternate white - also very sharp

grays:
1) are not a school color unlike for Ohio State or Georgetown
2) look like we switched to some environmentally friendly detergent

Don't you know that Strick is PH, JR. Strick is right and you are wrong. Strick will change position or give an excuse to prove it. This is a given.

Now add to that our schoolmarm, 09, and you created an exacta of self-perceived superiority.

You can't compete with it.

You can't diffuse it.

You only option is to knuckle under to them. Accept your position and their superiority. It's the only option for inner peace on the board.

Wasn't this was Mich or whoever was arguing against in the first place? That Austin Arians was a good transfer? I'm so confused what's really being argued here.

Lots of words have been used here to explain a pretty simple concept. Strick's first sentence said we hadn't had a good graduate transfer in a while. I noted that Austin Arians was good. That is all.

But for real, glad we have more people here that can read and interpret competently. Posters that can spell and think clearly really piss off RJ.

make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end make it end
Lol, this is a million times better than talking about how much Manning (apparently) sucks.

Back