• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Oh no, Keatts doesn't have a history of big man development. What he does have is a history of winning. 10 years at Hargrave with a 262-17 rcord and 2 NC's. Another NC at Louisville as an assistant. Immediate turn around at perennial loser UNC-W, with 72-28 in 3 years and 2 NCAA appearances. Another immediate turn around at NC State with 21-12 and an NCAA appearance after being worse than WFU 2 years ago. So Deacon fans keep on rationalizing, but be prepared to be looking up at State for a good long while to come.

Keatts was on UL's 1986 National Championship staff?

These boards were "feeling good about him" for three reasons. Being on his list of planned official visits; making his short list when he was being recruited in high school and Danny's reputation as a big man coach.

I don't think anyone had any information about his academic status.

C'mon man. If there were any holier than thou rumors about a recruit's academics, they would have made them here. Especially a transfer from UK.

C'mon man. If there were any holier than thou rumors about a recruit's academics, they would have made them here. Especially a transfer from UK.

I did hear this "rumor" on the radio yesterday. I assumed it was a UNC excuse ("we didn't want him anyway, so he went to State"). I didn't know Pitt was saying this, too, though.

Has a 5 star basketball recruit ever transferred into Wake before?

Before there were star ratings, Todd May certainly would have been one. He was a big pickup for Kentucky then left the Cats for Wake.

SKJ would have been a very nice pickup assuming his grades are legit. Manning and co. Are gonna have to grind a 2019 class out without much momentum. It’s an important class for sure.

I have heard he has some work to do this summer to be qualified which is why Pitt and unc backed out but State and possibly Wake felt he could get what he needed this summer. Fact is he was never coming to Wake anyway and after UNC pulled out (because that was definitely his destination until the transcripts arrived) State was the likely choice.

So if no one else wanted him than Wake may have had a chance. That is actually consistent with Manning’s recruiting history with other transfers.

I have heard he has some work to do this summer to be qualified which is why Pitt and unc backed out but State and possibly Wake felt he could get what he needed this summer. Fact is he was never coming to Wake anyway and after UNC pulled out (because that was definitely his destination until the transcripts arrived) State was the likely choice.
Ha, we were all getting our hopes up for nothing. We are such losers.

Ha, we were all getting our hopes up for nothing. We are such losers.

I mean, the guy took 2 "visits" and we were one of them. Hard to not get a little excited.

But yeah, we are losers. That is the unfortunate reality right now.

Unless, Danny decides to leave on his own we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future. The plan has always been for Manning to be the BB coach until Hatch and Wellman retire. Rogan would then hire a new AD and that person would decide who stays and who goes.

I seriously doubt that Wake would accelerate the succession plan based on the performance of the basketball program.
If true, what an absurd plan. "We'll just let the school burn down because back in 2014 we decided not to use a fire hose until 2022..."

Anyone have the contact info for the billboard company handy?

Keatts is a coach that will eventually get caught with his pants down. It's almost set in stone. I mean, I wish we had a program lead with some charisma, and Keatts has that, but I am also mildly content that we have a coach who almost assuredly won't embarrass the school ... off the court. In this current climate, NC State, who is already under investigation by the FBI for recruitment issues prior to Keatts is wearing a bad suit in an ex-Louisville assistant.

It's like Donald Trump hired Jenna Jamison as his press secretary and feigns ignorance and claims she has left that business behind. Possible? Absolutely. But almost always recruiting violations involve boosters and I have a difficult time seeing Keatts standing in front of a bunch of prominent boosters and declaring that he is going to do things the right way 100% - starting with a bunch of transcript waivers and juco transfers.

I sort of hope I am wrong. It would suck for State to eat it again and UNC to continue to dance over a 15 year rogue degree program but that is what I expect.

Nice. The greatest hits when we lose a recruit.

He couldn't hack it academically or he went to a coach who cheats. Even rhymes with Keatts.

Back