• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

I was completely unaware of the ACC rule before now. I thought only the school could prevent an in-conference transfer but didn't know the conference could prevent it and impose a two year penalty on the kid.

Really odd for the ACC to take this position. The conference benefits when the best players choose to play in the ACC. To essentially force a quality player to choose to play in another conference (Big East or SEC) is beyond dumb as it means a competing conference will be better. How does that help the ACC or the member schools? What if Bey goes to Vandy and they beat out ND for the last spot in the NCAAs next year? Is that what the ACC wants?

Wonder if the ACC would take this position if a transcendent HS player (e.g., Marvin Bagley Jr. last year) and an ACC school (lets say L'ville) mutually parted ways after an LOI was signed. Would the ACC really block Bagley from playing his one college year at Duke, if L'ville voluntarily released him from his LOI? How would then ACC benefit if Bagley then chose to play at Arizona or Kentucky and lead one of those teams to the Final 4?

I get the rule if an ACC school didn't voluntarily release him from his LOI, but when a school and recruit, voluntarily decide to divorce, it's in the ACC interest for the kid to remain in conference rather than help another team in another conference.

Just seems like the decision-makers are not thinking this thing through.

Dfc3XltV4AAHsca.jpg

Good look for Danny

More evidence that Manning can win if he just has enough talent. And Bill Self and Anthony Grant with him on the bench. Against Panama.

Newest video of 2020 CG Jaden Springer from Rocky River HS in North Carolina. Consensus 5-star prospect, impact player for any program.

I used to love watching these prospect videos. Now I watch a few seconds and think to myself "This kid is too good to come to Wake" .

This was the win Ronnie needed to justify keeping him around for 2020

More evidence that Manning can win if he just has enough talent. And Bill Self and Anthony Grant with him on the bench. Against Panama.

Yeah, nothing that a team full of 5-stars can't fix. If only we had the best 12 players in the country all on our team.

One of the players in that frame (Jeremiah Robinson-Earl) cut us from his list just a few days ago.

He got coached by Manning and then cut him from the list.

One of the players in that frame (Jeremiah Robinson-Earl) cut us from his list just a few days ago.

This is a slight misnomer. Not that I believe he will come here, but he listed schools he wanted to visit (not mentioning us) and then finished by saying he is still wide open in recruitment. He is likely going to Kansas or UNC, but they are also recruiting some other big name PFs in a class that is stacked at that position.

Hopefully dominoes start to fall soon with Matthew Hurt, Vernon Carey, Armando Bacot, Will Baker, and Trayce Jackson-Davis. These guys plus Robinson-Earl are all being recruited by the same blue bloods. Hurt is considered a Kansas lean, Carey is likely Duke Michigan State or UNC, Bacot is likely Duke or UNC, Will Baker has Kanas and UNC in his final list, Jackson-Davis is Indiana or Michigan State. I would hope with that many 5-star big men, that someone would end up at a non blue blood.

Interested in what everyone thinks our top 5 priorities for 2019 should be. My top 5 in order of importance would be

1. Omar Payne
2. Anthony Harris
3. Patrick Williams
4. Tyrese Samuel
5. Tre Mitchell (I would put him 1-2 spots higher if I thought we had a better chance at landing him)

Interested in what everyone thinks our top 5 priorities for 2019 should be. My top 5 in order of importance would be

1. Omar Payne
2. Anthony Harris
3. Patrick Williams
4. Tyrese Samuel
5. Tre Mitchell (I would put him 1-2 spots higher if I thought we had a better chance at landing him)

Buzz Williams seems to take a shotgun approach to recruiting. Despite VT being the consensus leader for Harris, Buzz has outstanding offers to 13 other 2019 PGs. That's a lot of fallback plans.

Buzz Williams seems to take a shotgun approach to recruiting. Despite VT being the consensus leader for Harris, Buzz has outstanding offers to 13 other 2019 PGs. That's a lot of fallback plans.

Obviously he wants to run a five guard offense.

Really odd for the ACC to take this position. The conference benefits when the best players choose to play in the ACC. To essentially force a quality player to choose to play in another conference (Big East or SEC) is beyond dumb as it means a competing conference will be better. How does that help the ACC or the member schools? What if Bey goes to Vandy and they beat out ND for the last spot in the NCAAs next year? Is that what the ACC wants?

Wonder if the ACC would take this position if a transcendent HS player (e.g., Marvin Bagley Jr. last year) and an ACC school (lets say L'ville) mutually parted ways after an LOI was signed. Would the ACC really block Bagley from playing his one college year at Duke, if L'ville voluntarily released him from his LOI? How would then ACC benefit if Bagley then chose to play at Arizona or Kentucky and lead one of those teams to the Final 4?

I get the rule if an ACC school didn't voluntarily release him from his LOI, but when a school and recruit, voluntarily decide to divorce, it's in the ACC interest for the kid to remain in conference rather than help another team in another conference.

Just seems like the decision-makers are not thinking this thing through.

This is a rule put in place to prevent coaches from recruiting other school's recruited commitments and scholarship players out form under the school they are already attending or committed to. Sure it penalizes the student/player but it is a deterrent against shady recruiting tactics. It would be an especially important protection in the case of a coaching change to keep rival coaches from poaching players and recruits during the uncertain period of a coaching staff search. Sure, the Bey case sounds like an exception, but how could anybody be certain that Bey didn't ask to be released from his LOI after one of the coaches at a rival school contacted him to point out that NC State had already recruited over him and he might be better off in a different program.

Back