• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Something had to happen at the end of Dino's tenure. I don't need to know what that is but it escapes logic that it was simply about wins and losses. It had to do with program direction and what Skip could keep reigns on and Dino could not.

Give me some logic to throw this in my face if you disagree. But just calling it a shitty post doesn't do that.

I agree with the first bold sentence, not the second. There’s a leap between those two sentences not supported by logic or the known facts.

Which part. Did Dino get another job despite having a pretty good track record as an assistant coach? No jobs? In 5 years? You could argue that he didn't want to get back into coaching and liked the studio gig and analyst work. You could make that argument. But the fact is that he was never offered ANY job anywhere despite really good connections until he was hired by a former colleague.

I'm just trying to follow facts.

I don't see many facts outside some of Bzd's tenure that indicate he micro manages a program. Clawson? No. Muuse? Not that I can see. Grobe before him? Dave Odom end of tenure comes to mind. But Odom got a new job immediately.

I don't think Wellman micromanages a program. It is not uncommon to give a coach keys to the car until they prove they need a chauffeur. You can offer scholly to kid a, b, and c, but they are your responsibility. Our graduation rate is X. Two out of those three kids better graduate or leave in good academic standing, yada yada, or dot dot dot. Pretty standard stuff.

Something had to happen at the end of Dino's tenure. I don't need to know what that is but it escapes logic that it was simply about wins and losses. It had to do with program direction and what Skip could keep reigns on and Dino could not.

Give me some logic to throw this in my face if you disagree. But just calling it a shitty post doesn't do that.

If we are just going to spit ball, how about, Wellman is an arrogant shitty human that wanted Dino to recruit 4 yr players. Dino said no and Wellman showed Dino what a big man he was and burnt the program to the ground.

Mine sounds at least as plausible.

GDO had a long, successful run at Wake. He had been offered other jobs while at Wake. Dino hadn't.

Dino's only decent seasons came with Skip's players and even in those seasons Dino grossly underachieved. He had zero winning seasons out of seven before coming to Wake as a HC.

It's very likely he was perceived as a top notch assistant but not really a good HC.

GDO had a long, successful run at Wake. He had been offered other jobs while at Wake. Dino hadn't.

Dino's only decent seasons came with Skip's players and even in those seasons Dino grossly underachieved. He had zero winning seasons out of seven before coming to Wake as a HC.

It's very likely he was perceived as a top notch assistant but not really a good HC.

So, Dino was Exhibit A for the Peter Principle (with Danny being A-1)?

If we are just going to spit ball, how about, Wellman is an arrogant shitty human that wanted Dino to recruit 4 yr players. Dino said no and Wellman showed Dino what a big man he was and burnt the program to the ground.

Mine sounds at least as plausible.

They are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I am not saying Wellman black balled Dino. He wouldn't have that kind of power anyway, but he every employer about to hire someone for a $1,000,000 job calls the previous employer. You have to assume that call had to have happened in the last five years. I don't think Louisville needs to make that call or would even have the call returned. Mack doesn't need to have his AD make that call anyway. At least as it relates to Dino as an assistant coach.

So, Dino was Exhibit A for the Peter Principle (with Danny being A-1)?

Danny was successful at Tulsa for his short stay.

There are guys who are really assistant coaches but not very good as HC.

They are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I am not saying Wellman black balled Dino. He wouldn't have that kind of power anyway, but he every employer about to hire someone for a $1,000,000 job calls the previous employer. You have to assume that call had to have happened in the last five years. I don't think Louisville needs to make that call or would even have the call returned. Mack doesn't need to have his AD make that call anyway. At least as it relates to Dino as an assistant coach.

Are you trying to emulate my typing? :)

Unless Wellman had pictures and stone cold evidence, he didn't say anything really negative about Dino to anyone. It's would be too dangerous and too expensive.

Hell, Dino's name wasn't mentioned for any decent job after being fired.

I’ve seen some pretty horrendous public schools. At least at a diploma factory the kids are being walked individually through the boxes they have to check off.

There are public schools in PG county Maryland that got busted for handing out diplomas to kids that showed up 4 days total their senior year. That’s an extreme example but the point stands. It’s possible to simply show up everyday because you want to be allowed to play basketball, not be taught a single thing, and still walk away with a diploma and qualifying GPA.

At least at a diploma factory the education might be specifically designed to get you qualified (rather than to teach you anything) but it does exist. If these places were completely fraudulent their “students” wouldn’t get through the NCAA clearinghouse.

Wait... rchill is from pg county? It all makes sense now.

Conspiracy theories aside... maybe...just maybe dino watch his mentor work himself to death. He took over our of obligation. Successfully learned and taught a new defense. Made ncaa's and won a game.

He clearly had a falling out with ronnie and was fired behind billowing smoke and mirrors. Maybe he and his wife said it's nice to be home and traveling less. Nice to have less stress.

A few years later a friend calls and asks him to join his staff. He feels good about that and jumps back in.

ronnie is happy you guys are still saying dino sucked.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - 2019 SF Ismael Massoud commits to Wake!

This thread needs a Ranger Rescue.

It needs a full fledged Walker, Texas Ranger Rescue

giphy.gif

Danny was successful at Tulsa for his short stay.

There are guys who are really assistant coaches but not very good as HC.

Dino was better at Wake than Danny was at Tulsa. Objectively.

Dino was not better at his previous HC jobs than Danny was at Tulsa.
What the hell does that have to do with anything? The point was to compare Dino's most recent time as head coach at Wake to the guy that was hired to replace him.

I didn't day anything about that.

Dino's "success" was with Skip's players. A person in a coma could have won like he did here with the talent he had. He grossly underachieved with the players he had.

He's a very good assistant and a terrible HC.

I didn't day anything about that.

Dino's "success" was with Skip's players. A person in a coma could have won like he did here with the talent he had. He grossly underachieved with the players he had.

He's a very good assistant and a terrible HC.

This is a dumb argument to have on the recruiting thread.

Having said that, I’ll add that Danny’s success at Tulsa was also with someone else’s players.

No recruiting news...:)

Dino had four guys who each started over 30 games in the NBA last season and have had 7-9 year NBA careers, a guy who played a couple of years in the D League (multiple time All-ACC Defensive).

Your avatar could have gotten that team to the Sweet 16.

No recruiting news...:)

Dino had four guys who each started over 30 games in the NBA last season and have had 7-9 year NBA careers, a guy who played a couple of years in the D League (multiple time All-ACC Defensive).

Your avatar could have gotten that team to the Sweet 16.

Oystercatchers have a really bad defensive philosophy. The nest on the ground and about ~80% of their nests are lost to predation. Basically they see danger and they just sort of quietly walk away pretending the nest isn’t there and hope that you don’t find it. We might barely win 11 games with that kind of effort.

Back