• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaah...thanks...

At 6'4, I wonder if McCray will grow into being a SG. How is his three point shot?

Hadn't really considered this until now, but it makes a lot of sense if you want to make sure you get to use all of your college eligibility... Removes the risk of an abbreviated or canceled Freshman season.

Hadn't really considered this until now, but it makes a lot of sense if you want to make sure you get to use all of your college eligibility... Removes the risk of an abbreviated or canceled Freshman season.

Can tell you that college athletes in every sport are at least considering the option of taking a year off rather than head into what is likely going to a muddled mess of a 2020-21 college athletic season. FWIW, college kids that are non-athletes are considering the same thing. Even if everything goes as planned, and it won't, this school year will suck.

Except for those destined to play professionally, do you really want to waste one of four precious college seasons in what almost certainly will be a clusterfuck?

Last edited:
Can tell you that college athletes in every sport are at least considering the option of taking a year off rather than head into what is likely going to a muddled mess of a 2020-21 college athletic season. FWIW, college kids that are non-athletes are considering the same thing. Even if everything goes as planned, and it won't, this school year will suck.

I guess the flip side would be that you'd basically be making the '21 class a lot bigger... If you are a '20 guy waiting a year, then you have to also compete with an entirely new class coming in. Can't imagine coaches would be excited about losing a player for a year, either... Messes w/ the scholarship situation.

Which is worse...

Playing a full and normal regular season, only to have the season just end in the middle of postseason tournaments ('19-20)

or

Having the beginning of the season be all screwed up, but you still get a normal postseason (hypothetical for '20-21)

As a fan, I prefer #2... Not sure if the answer changes if I'm the player

Of course, '20-21 could be a complete shitshow that never even really happens.

I think coaches would want the players committed. If you aren't a Top 50 player, you will have greater competition if you don't go to college in the fall.

Don't see the possibility of sitting-out 2020-21 impacting basketball and football as much because:

- So many of those guys have, at least, the hope of playing professionally, and being old in college is not a great recipe for being attractive to professional leagues
- Because these are money making sports, the NCAA and the colleges will do whatever they can to play those sports
- As RJ stated, the constant threat of being recruited over

While some basketball players may decide to take the year off or take a PG year, it will be more prevalent (or at least be considered more seriously) for the athletes in the non-revenue sports where your 4 years in college is the pinnacle.

Don't see the possibility of sitting-out 2020-21 impacting basketball and football as much because:

- So many of those guys have, at least, the hope of playing professionally, and being old in college is not a great recipe for being attractive to professional leagues
- Because these are money making sports, the NCAA and the colleges will do whatever they can to play those sports
- As RJ stated, the constant threat of being recruited over

While some basketball players may decide to take the year off or take a PG year, it will be more prevalent (or at least be considered more seriously) for the athletes in the non-revenue sports where your 4 years in college is the pinnacle.

I think parents might be a little hesitant to send their kids to basketball factory prep schools. Sending a kid hundreds or thousands of miles away to Oak Hill, Montverde, Hargrave, Findlay or the like could be more dangerous than going to college.

picked up a few tidbits from the Gamecock 247 board that were interesting considering we are recruiting so many players from SC. Gamecocks just got a commitment from guard Jacobi Wright and they are not planning on taking any more guards. They have one scholly left and want to use it on a big, most likely John Butler or Cesare Edwards. They seem to think they are in good with Butler and both his parents are USC grads. The state of South Carolina has a long history of many of its best players going out of state and we have major connections with our staff so keep on eye on this state.

picked up a few tidbits from the Gamecock 247 board that were interesting considering we are recruiting so many players from SC. Gamecocks just got a commitment from guard Jacobi Wright and they are not planning on taking any more guards. They have one scholly left and want to use it on a big, most likely John Butler or Cesare Edwards. They seem to think they are in good with Butler and both his parents are USC grads. The state of South Carolina has a long history of many of its best players going out of state and we have major connections with our staff so keep on eye on this state.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing, SC!

One thing that I just thought about is the fact that 3/5 of our transfers played for winning programs. That kind of experience in the locker room and in practice should definitely help change the culture.

Louisville already has one of the top classes for '21... Swinging for the fences w/ the remaining spots they have. I feel like Mack is trolling us by offering everyone Forbes offers.

Forbes seems to be fishing in the right pond. Mostly top 150 rated guys. Selective looks at others, based on personal evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back