• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BC

Suck it noon kicks. Unreal we completely avoided them this year.

Gonna have like 8 next year now

Man, opened this thread hoping to discuss some ancient history.

It's somewhat cyclical. BC can be made great again

I feel like in 2014, the same article could be written about us in regards to the big money sports success.

That article hits a little too close to home for me as a Wake fan. We can certainly relate.

Jags was even taking shots at them during their game Friday.

Friday night, No. 18 Florida State walked on Boston College, 45-7, dropping the Eagles to 4-6 after a 3-9 2015 under Steve Addazio. Early in the fourth quarter, former head coach Jeff Jagodzinski, most recently Georgia State’s assistant head coach, tweeted this: "Embarrassing. I can't even watch this. Let me know when you want to be relevant again! You deserve better."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-jeff-jagodzinski-steve-addazio-florida-state

Jags was even taking shots at them during their game Friday.

Friday night, No. 18 Florida State walked on Boston College, 45-7, dropping the Eagles to 4-6 after a 3-9 2015 under Steve Addazio. Early in the fourth quarter, former head coach Jeff Jagodzinski, most recently Georgia State’s assistant head coach, tweeted this: "Embarrassing. I can't even watch this. Let me know when you want to be relevant again! You deserve better."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-jeff-jagodzinski-steve-addazio-florida-state

Maybe he tweeted that out while perusing his own resume.

This stuff is somewhat just cyclical. As some mentioned, we weren't in a great place a few years ago, and before that you could have easily said some of the same stuff about NC State.

That said, I'm inclined to think that BC is somewhat of a different case. They suffer from having a large number of sports with a small budget. They have 25 sports (depending on how you count the running sports) while we only have 16.

A number of areas of BC's athletic department are noticeably behind others in the ACC, even other low budget schools like us. By way of example, I'm still not sure that they offer video streaming of Olympic sports, whereas Wake has been doing that in at least some capacity for more than five years now; same thing with live scoring--as recently as a few years ago, they weren't offering live scoring for some sports when every other school in the ACC was.

And it's not just support staff that are affected. BC's men's tennis team is the only one in the ACC that doesn't offer any scholarships. As a result, they are a perennial doormat in the conference. It wouldn't surprise me if other sports were in similar positions.

I'm not sure that the recent lack of success can be explained completely by the problem of having to spread too little money too thin--after all, they were pretty good in revenue sports a few years ago--but I'm sure it's not helping anything, and I have the sense that they are in a materially different place in this regard than any of the other ACC schools.

This stuff is somewhat just cyclical. As some mentioned, we weren't in a great place a few years ago, and before that you could have easily said some of the same stuff about NC State.

That said, I'm inclined to think that BC is somewhat of a different case. They suffer from having a large number of sports with a small budget. They have 25 sports (depending on how you count the running sports) while we only have 16.

A number of areas of BC's athletic department are noticeably behind others in the ACC, even other low budget schools like us. By way of example, I'm still not sure that they offer video streaming of Olympic sports, whereas Wake has been doing that in at least some capacity for more than five years now; same thing with live scoring--as recently as a few years ago, they weren't offering live scoring for some sports when every other school in the ACC was.

And it's not just support staff that are affected. BC's men's tennis team is the only one in the ACC that doesn't offer any scholarships. As a result, they are a perennial doormat in the conference. It wouldn't surprise me if other sports were in similar positions.

I'm not sure that the recent lack of success can be explained completely by the problem of having to spread too little money too thin--after all, they were pretty good in revenue sports a few years ago--but I'm sure it's not helping anything, and I have the sense that they are in a materially different place in this regard than any of the other ACC schools.

My main question is whether or not they are even trying in basketball. They are fielding basically an NEC team at this point over the past 5 years and don't seem to care. At Wake we knew that we cared, we were just being led into the ground by Jeff [Redacted].

My main question is whether or not they are even trying in basketball. They are fielding basically an NEC team at this point over the past 5 years and don't seem to care. At Wake we knew that we cared, we were just being led into the ground by Jeff [name redacted].

Shit, I just looked our numbers up compared to BC for 2011-2016:

Wake Avg KP Finish: 161

BC Avg KP Finish: 152

That's awful for us and should draw even more ire towards our handling of the basketball program.

Not that big of a deal for BC to suck in basketball. As stated above, hockey is the priority Winter Sport at BC, and even when BC was competitive they always did it with completely under the radar recruits. Chris Herren (of 30 for 30 fame) might be the last big time recruit to sign with BC. New England doesn't produce a ton of elite hoop talent, and when a solid player comes from that area, they look to go elsewhere as BC and the City of Boston have never strongly supported the basketball program. As for recruiting basketball players from NY, Philly, DC and further South, they are always going to relegated to the guys that are sleepers.

The collapse of BC Sports is really more about the football program. Both before and after BC joined the ACC, BC had solid football teams. At one point, I think only Wisconsin had more OL in the NFL than BC. Bad coaching hires (Jags, Spazani and Addazio) have crippled the program. Their offense has been particularly pathetic having been held to 10 points or less in 9 of their last 15 ACC games, and BC has not scored more than 21 points in any conference game since 2014. If/when BC hires a solid coach, they can be competitive in football again.

BTW, the perception of an athletic program is essentially football and basketball, and then everything else. Even so, outside of hockey and soccer, BC does run their Olympic sports like a D-3 school (swimming is another sport that competes in the ACC, but offer no schollies). It does wear on an athletic department when almost every sport is DFL in the conference.

Last edited:
Back