• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BCS OUT

i agree 100% but what if alabama wins. does OkState have a case at a split then?

i don't know if they do or not, just throwing that out there

LSU probably gets a split title if they lose. They should as well.

Yeah if Bama wins 9-6 I bet they win the title and the poll which they have to (AP I believe) and LSU wins the other poll.

In all honesty if Bama wins in a close well fought game, why shouldn't they share the title? It's against what "we believe in" but if they go 13-1 and 12-1 with losses only to each other in two "good" games, why shouldn't they share it?

Yeah if Bama wins 9-6 I bet they win the title and the poll which they have to (AP I believe) and LSU wins the other poll.

In all honesty if Bama wins in a close well fought game, why shouldn't they share the title? It's against what "we believe in" but if they go 13-1 and 12-1 with losses only to each other in two "good" games, why shouldn't they share it?

Or best of three series? In DV?

Because at the beginning of the season everyone agreed on the rules. The rules are that the team that wins the BCS Nat'l Championship Game is the champion.

The fact that LSU pitches a hissy fit over the fact that they "shared" a championship with USC a few years ago also cuts against anyone giving LSU a shared anything if they lose.

I think a four-team playoff would be easy enough to institute and should be done sooner rather than later. I also think LSU and Alabama are probably the two best teams in the nation, but there's no way to prove that without letting the top teams prove it on the field. College football is the only sport where you're usually left disappointed by the end (with the rare exceptions like the amazing Texas-USC title game).

I think a four-team playoff would be easy enough to institute and should be done sooner rather than later. I also think LSU and Alabama are probably the two best teams in the nation, but there's no way to prove that without letting the top teams prove it on the field. College football is the only sport where you're usually left disappointed by the end (with the rare exceptions like the amazing Texas-USC title game).

This.

A shared title between Bama and LSU would be hilarious. It would be like neither game mattered.

Well the idea of a rematch is so incredibly stupid that we can't punish LSU by making them beat Bama twice, buuuuuuut the rules say the winner of the BCS title game is the MNC. Hmmmm let's split it!! And honestly, Arkansas only lost to LSU and Bama, it isn't inconceivable that they couldn't beat either if given another chance.....3 way split??? SEC! SEC!

I only considered a possible Bama/Osu split, but this is way more awesome. Unfortunately, I don't think even this abortion would sway the PAC and the B1G.....they care about their precious Rose Bowl too damn much to agree to a plus one.

Eh, I think the positives of the bowl system far outweigh the negatives. Before this year, you could make an argument that every game matters. There isn't any starters being rested after a playoff spot is secured. A six or seven win team still fights to the bitter end to get a better bowl, instead of dogging it or becoming a hot shot when the team is eliminated from the playoffs.

The best fix would be a plus one. I would have no problem with a Bama/LSU rematch if Bama beat Osu yesterday and LSU beat Stanford. Anything past 4 is unnecessary imo. Just have to get the Rose Bowl on board.

Eh, I think the positives of the bowl system far outweigh the negatives. Before this year, you could make an argument that every game matters. There isn't any starters being rested after a playoff spot is secured. A six or seven win team still fights to the bitter end to get a better bowl, instead of dogging it or becoming a hot shot when the team is eliminated from the playoffs.

The best fix would be a plus one. I would have no problem with a Bama/LSU rematch if Bama beat Osu yesterday and LSU beat Stanford. Anything past 4 is unnecessary imo. Just have to get the Rose Bowl on board.
A plus-one and a four-team playoff are essentially the same thing, right? So aren't you just agreeing with me? :p

I think a plus one is also the best solution. I don't have a problem with the bowl system as a whole - I actually enjoy watching some of the smaller bowls when nothing else is on TV. But I think the way college football determines a national champion based on just two teams leaves a lot to be desired.

A plus-one and a four-team playoff are essentially the same thing, right? So aren't you just agreeing with me? :p

I think a plus one is also the best solution. I don't have a problem with the bowl system as a whole - I actually enjoy watching some of the smaller bowls when nothing else is on TV. But I think the way college football determines a national champion based on just two teams leaves a lot to be desired.

Plus one is something like play the bowls as before the #1 vs #2 NC game (traditional tie-ins or similar), then play post-bowl #1 vs post-bowl #2.

When Bama beats LSU by more than 10 points next week, there should be no talk about a split title. OSU choked away their chance for the title by losing to Iowa fucking State. If Stanford's kicker doesn't hook a 35 five yard field goal wide left last night, would the same people who are advocating a split title for OSU also advocate a split title for Stanford? If not, why not?

The worst part of the next week is gonna be all the haters hating on the rematch. I get it. You don't like Bama, think the SEC is overrated/gets all the breaks, etc. Guess what? You don't have to watch the game. There will still be millions of people who do.

While I agree that Bama effectively lost their national championship shot when they shit the bed against LSU in Tuscaloosa, the Tide benefitted from all the other teams ahead of them losing after their loss. In the current imperfect system of the BCS, they "earned" the number 2 spot and thus a shot at the national championship, not a split title.

I'd be in favor of a #1 vs. #4 and a #2 vs. #3 matchup on 1/2, with the BCS title game a week later on 1/9.

So this year you'd have LSU vs. Stanford and Alabama vs. Okie State, with the title game pitting the two winners against one another.

Plus one is something like play the bowls as before the #1 vs #2 NC game (traditional tie-ins or similar), then play post-bowl #1 vs post-bowl #2.

Yep. In the plus one, you basically wait until after the bowls to choose #1 and #2 for the NC game.

I think Bama wins both titles if they beat LSU, but only because non-Bama AP votes will be divided between LSU and OSU.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly think that OSU is in any way deserving of a shared title. Iowa. Fucking. State.

"We feel like we could beat anyone in the country," Cowboys receiver Colton Chelf said.

"I do think we do have the best team in the nation." Justin Blackmon

:jerkit:

"We feel like we could beat anyone in the country," Cowboys receiver Colton Chelf said.

"I do think we do have the best team in the nation." Justin Blackmon

:jerkit:

You lost to Iowa State, and would of lost to Stanford if their kicker could of made a 30-yard field goal.

But...okaaaaaaaaaay

I think OSU would get absolutely worked by LSU, but still would've loved to see the game.

Back