• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bell's Palsy

RollTheQuad06

rolling quads since 2002
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with Bell's Palsy (facial paralysis on one half of the face) either personally or someone they know? My mother was diagnosed with it last week.

Curious if anything helped it get better more quickly, how long it lasted, if a full recovery was made, etc. Obviously all cases are different.

Some people say Mona Lisa may have had Bell's Palsy.

No insight but sorry to hear that about your mom. Hope she recovers quickly!

Had it, yes. My doctor thought it was brought on by stress, FWIW. He loaded me up on all sorts of meds as a precaution but I do not recall what they were. Rest and some herbal stuff that was designed to help nerves seemed to do the trick for me.

"Full" recovery in six-weeks or so (in that you didn't really notice unless you were looking for it) with most of the recovery happening pretty quickly. Nerves can take years to heal though.

Hope mamma RTQ heals up quick!

A secretary I worked with several years ago had it happen. My memory is a bit vague on it, but I know she was very worried about how long it would last and if it would be permanent, but she fully recovered after about a month or so.

The folk that I have known who had it all recovered after a relatively brief time (brief if you were not going through it). I hope that will be your Mom's experience.

I suspect that stress is a major contributor.

My old roommate had it many years back. Same results as others, went away after a couple months and he hasn't had any issues since.

I developed it right after school ended for the year my junior year of high school...I can still remember the moment it happened - felt like a bee sting and all of a sudden the entire left side of my face went numb and felt like it was falling off. By end of summer, it had gone away but it took a while. A couple years later, a friend of mine in college developed it.

A friend developed it while she was pregnant. IIRC it went away within a couple of months after delivery and she has been fine since.

Thanks for the insights, folks, and the well-wishes for my mom. I hope it's more on the 6-weeks than few-months recovery plan for her.

She is an elementary school substitute teacher, so she is with different students nearly every day. Each day she has been explaining to them (in simple terms) that there is something wrong with her face, why she can't really smile, etc. Says they've been pretty good with it so far.

Back