• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bert and Ernie Come Out

Bert and Ernie aren't gay. Few things piss me off more.

There are plenty of loveable gay couples, why try and steal a childhood innocent thing like B&E?

If your child is reading the New Yorker, and if your child recognizes that those are supreme court justices, and that there was a ruling on Prop 8 and DOMA, and that therefore it is inferring that Bert and Ernie are gay, they will be able to process that Bert and Ernie are gay and innocence is not lost.

There are plenty of loveable gay couples, why try and steal a childhood innocent thing like B&E?

first they still marriage, and now it's a "childhood innocent thing." what's next? Sports? OOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS

Them being gay wouldn't "steal childhood innocence." It's just that the implication that two men who live together and are good friends HAVE to be gay that is stupid and backwards.

i like this idea about Go getting all worked up about bert and ernie

bbd prefers bih bird cock is the first bbd is gay tag ive laughed at in a while. congrats tagger.

If you think Sesame Street is a "childhood innocent" thing and not a very, very clever and very politically loaded show that broached a huge number of controversial issues - then, well ... I don't know what to tell you.

There's nothing innocent or accidental about anything ever portrayed on Sesame Street. Ever.

If you think Sesame Street is a "childhood innocent" thing and not a very, very clever and very politically loaded show that broached a huge number of controversial issues - then, well ... I don't know what to tell you.

There's nothing innocent or accidental about anything ever portrayed on Sesame Street. Ever.

he didnt catch 'em. he's a pub.

I'm not saying that Bert and Ernie are or are not gay BUT the image in that cover is the perfect capture of the equality movement.

The modern equality movement is considered to have begun with the Stonewall Riots in NYC June 28, 1969. Yes, there were other events prior but the riots are considered the start of the modern era. Sesame Street premiered November 10, 1969 and was reflective of a major metropolitan urban setting with a wide array of individuals. Bert and Ernie, both original characters, were set to live together in a basement apartment in a time when a gay couple on television (let alone a children's show) would be the end all. Like most couples of the time (and many still today), they were invisible in plain sight. Fast forward to today, and those same couples can now be officially recognized which is what the image is capturing.

I'm not saying that Bert and Ernie are or are not gay BUT the image in that cover is the perfect capture of the equality movement.

The modern equality movement is considered to have begun with the Stonewall Riots in NYC June 28, 1969. Yes, there were other events prior but the riots are considered the start of the modern era. Sesame Street premiered November 10, 1969 and was reflective of a major metropolitan urban setting with a wide array of individuals. Bert and Ernie, both original characters, were set to live together in a basement apartment in a time when a gay couple on television (let alone a children's show) would be the end all. Like most couples of the time (and many still today), they were invisible in plain sight. Fast forward to today, and those same couples can now be officially recognized which is what the image is capturing.

If these are your original thoughts, I've just read the most insightful words ever written in the pit.

Them being gay wouldn't "steal childhood innocence." It's just that the implication that two men who live together and are good friends HAVE to be gay that is stupid and backwards.

That is really well stated and I wish I could have posted these words. Thank you!

Sesame Street is awesome, I love it because it is multi-faceted. Moms and dads can watch and laugh along w/ the kids.

"Letter B" etc all GENIUS.

I'm a Grover fan myself.

Back