• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best camping near Winston

Hate to be a funbuster, but NC State Parks are "alcohol free," at least for those that get caught. Stone Mtn would be good if that is not a problem. Don't fall off the dome at Stone Mtn. Real talk. People get too close to the point of no return, and don't return.

with many of these parks, if you go out to the more remote sites (that you have to hike to) and don't cause a huge ruckus, nobody cares.

Linville gorge. That place will kick your ass.

As far as something for the purposes OP described I'd say Uwharrie is your best bet. Not the most accessible, but definitely the place where you have the smallest chance of catching flack for being drunk and loud. If I'm planning my own trip and dont want to go too far from home, I'd do a canoe overnighter on the yadkn river every time. Put in at the shoals access in east bend, short .5 mile paddle to the campsite on the left side of the big island downstream. You'll be out of the boats and setting camp less than 30 minutes after getting on the river. The next day all you have to do is paddle 5 miles downstream to Donnaha (hwy 67 bridge) and take out and you're 5 minutes from reynolda road. Paddling out is much better than hiking out if you're planning on being hungover. You get to camp on this awesome island and can reserve it so you're guaranteed to have the place to yourself. It's like I get to live out 8 year old me's Huck Finn fantasy every time I do it. The only problem I could see you having would be access to canoes/kayaks, you can try Yadkin River Adventures or the Dan River Company but I don't know if they do overnight rentals or not.

I'm a big fan of Stone Mountain, used to work at a camp about 5 miles from there. I have hiked the loop trail dozens of times.

Second on the discrete consumption of alcohol. I know from experience they're freaking nazis about that at both new river state parks.

Back