• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best concert you've ever seen

Led Zeppelin - September 11th, 1971 preceeded by The Who, September 8th, 1971.

It was a hell of a week.

For me it was Phish's return on 3/6/09 in Hampton, VA. I had just started getting into them in '02 and then they broke up in '04 so it wasn't my first show but I had only been to a few before that night. Honestly didn't realize what I was about to walk into that night. The crowd energy in that room was off the charts. I could've gotten $700-1,000 for my ticket outside...so glad I didn't give in to the temptation.

Before that night I would have said HFStival 2000, the one time I saw Rage Against the Machine, who headlined a ridiculous lineup.

For me it was Phish's return on 3/6/09 in Hampton, VA. I had just started getting into them in '02 and then they broke up in '04 so it wasn't my first show but I had only been to a few before that night. Honestly didn't realize what I was about to walk into that night. The crowd energy in that room was off the charts. I could've gotten $700-1,000 for my ticket outside...so glad I didn't give in to the temptation.

I was trying to scalp in the lot that night, so I heard a lot of the show from the grassy bank by the water. I only had Sunday tickets, unfortunately.

LCD Soundsystem at Terminal 5 in NYC a few years ago. It was the last show in a 4-day NYC stint for them. Not quite as cool as it would've been to be at their 3 hour MSG finale, but James Murphy puts on a hell of a show. I was front row, and it was awesome.

Also, a bunch of shows at Bonnaroo last year were electric. The Strokes (though they had a real short set), Best Coast, and Smith Westerns all killed it.

For smaller shows, Broken Social Scene at the Orange Peel in Asheville (September 2010 I think?) was pretty cool. Played for 2 hours without a break, ended with a 10 minute version of "Meet Me In the Basement".

I was trying to scalp in the lot that night, so I heard a lot of the show from the grassy bank by the water. I only had Sunday tickets, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear you didn't make it in man. I scored the most unlikely lottery of all-time, 2 tix all 3 nights, but didn't realize how long of a shot I hit until later. I took my friend who had listened to a lot of live tunes while getting strong with his buddy in college, but it was his first 3 shows. I've gone to 30 shows since that weekend and he's gone to over 20. It sucks that a lot of vets got shut out, but when they picked such a small venue it was going to happen to a lot of people.

I still think My Morning Jacket is about as good as it gets live and have seen them 5 times. Hard to pick a favorite, but probably when they played in Charleston at the Family Circle Cup tennis complex. Other great concerts I have seen include:

Pearl Jam in Columbia, SC
Fleet Foxes at the Tabernacle in Atlanta, GA
Deer Tick at the Pour House in Charleston, SC
Modest Mouse at the Music Farm in Charleston, SC
Phish at the Coliseum in Charleston, SC
Deer Tick, Futurebirds, and Dead Confederate at Buckhead Theater in Atlanta, GA

The following spring had a few good ones too:

Janis Joplin in Carmichael; Jimi Hendricks and later Led Zeppelin in Raleigh, and Joe Cocker with the Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour in Keenan at Carolina Jubilee. Those were the days. Seems like I hardly had time to go to class.

Jefferson Airplane, 1972 at The Academy of Music (was originally called the Filmore East) in NYC. An afternoon-evening concert at JFK in Philly a few years after that with Gary Wright, Peter Frampton, and Yes also comes to mind.

Styx in Greensboro (first concert)
The Who at Carter-Finely (best concert in high school)
Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine in Chapel Hill (permanent ear damage)Allman Brothers (Highs and lows, awesome show and then spent the night in jail)
Flaming Lips at the Disco Rodeo (left that show high on life)
Black Keys at the Disco Rodeo (those dudes just kick ass)

Solid list. Saw Dinosaur Jr at The Ritz in Raleigh and echo the ear damage comment. By far the loudest show I have ever been to. Damn good show though.

Back