• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best defense - Worst offense

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
One of best defenses ever at WFU. Might be worst offense though. Our defense has to compete against both the opponent's offense and our offense. At least we didn't turn the ball over much under Coach Grobe. Riley should talk to Wolford about ball security . The only time I can recall Riley playing like Wolford was the Navy game at home - when Riley was admittedly forcing things. I can't believe we aren't bring in at least 2 RBs in 2015- with none committed yet.

I think there are really two thread topics here, maybe 3.

Riley had all day, especially his freshman year, to throw the rock. Wolford has the amount of time it takes a defensive end or linebacker to run 7 yards. Many of his Int's arnt really his fault, tipped passes, hits as he throws, bouncing off hands and receivers not fighting for the ball. And sometimes he just wants to take a chance. I don't blame him, if not then it will be another sack or loss of yardage run. Why not take a few chances, get some mo going and try to do something. Because if he never took a few chances, yeah they may not score as much but in the end it doesn't matter if we lose by 1pt or 50. It's still a loss. If we get some mo, gives a chance to potentially win. Especially since the D as you previously mentioned is playing at a high level

"C' mon Man " ! Riley was not a true frosh with a true frosh center and two true soph guards. The O line was so much better. Running game succeeded even after every running back got hurt and Kenny Moore shifted from wr. Past two games are Wolford's first against high level D1 secondary players. Let's give him time to learn from his mistakes and adjust to quality secondary secondaries.

That being said if we are not going to throw on 3rd and long why not use Souza in read option / pistol on that down and distance. He was productive running the ball against our D. is that showing up as scout team qb/ Opposing D's do not fear the option in the read option because Wolford always hands it off.

Riley had all day, especially his freshman year, to throw the rock. Wolford has the amount of time it takes a defensive end or linebacker to run 7 yards. Many of his Int's arnt really his fault, tipped passes, hits as he throws, bouncing off hands and receivers not fighting for the ball. And sometimes he just wants to take a chance. I don't blame him, if not then it will be another sack or loss of yardage run. Why not take a few chances, get some mo going and try to do something. Because if he never took a few chances, yeah they may not score as much but in the end it doesn't matter if we lose by 1pt or 50. It's still a loss. If we get some mo, gives a chance to potentially win. Especially since the D as you previously mentioned is playing at a high level
Good points

This really might be the absolute worst offense in Wake Forest history and Coach Jim Grobe and his prior minions are the ones responsible for this as their recruiting was tremendously weak the past three years and the entire staff save for maybe one or two just mailed it in. The loyalty factor for Coach Grobe is coming back to haunt us now as he would not part with people who were lazy and could not coach and now Coach Clawson is paying the price. Wake Forest fans are paying the price and you can see it at the box office and on TV when they show the stands and all the empty seats at the old Groves Stadium. Wow it is just a shame as the defense is playing really well and hard.

Are you saying that BB&T is starting to look like LJC with all the empty seats?....that's a disturbing trend for the Deacs, hope it's only temporary......

I'm really curious why we coach as though if we don't get it done in 2 downs, we give up.

Running super safe plays on 3rd down just because you don't want to turn it over?....I mean yea the defense is good, but you aren't going to ever win a game holding them to 3 points and punting every time you have the ball.

Even worse is we got more creative when we put in our backups. Yuck

We have the lowest total yardage (total offense) in the nation and the fewest yards per play at 3.35. Every team in the country could run 3 plays for their average yards per play and get a first down. We get a first down in 3 plays by less than 2 inches.

cfbstats.com only goes back to 2008, but if we keep our current averages, we'll have the fewest yards per game and per play since at least before 2008.

I don't understand why we ever run the ball in the traditional I formation. We need to stop that. We should "run it" only through the use of screen passes, orbits, or through unorthodox flea flicker/lateral trickery. Handing the ball off to the RB is no good unless we need two yards or less. I'd prefer to send FB to the left and RB to the right and try to run a modified quick spread. Teach the WRs to block their guy and get it out of Wolford's hands quick, but don't let all 7 lineman and LBs just bum rush us every time. That gets old real quick.

Love watching the defense play their hearts out though.

This really might be the absolute worst offense in Wake Forest history and Coach Jim Grobe and his prior minions are the ones responsible for this as their recruiting was tremendously weak the past three years and the entire staff save for maybe one or two just mailed it in. The loyalty factor for Coach Grobe is coming back to haunt us now as he would not part with people who were lazy and could not coach and now Coach Clawson is paying the price. Wake Forest fans are paying the price and you can see it at the box office and on TV when they show the stands and all the empty seats at the old Groves Stadium. Wow it is just a shame as the defense is playing really well and hard.
Yes

We are in desperate need of speed on offense. Is the recruit Hines a fast slot receiver ? Is Armstrong still injured? Boy it hurt us to lose Barbour and the guy to pro baseball this year .

this. and that one INT he threw in the 3rd qtr against Louisville for the endzone i liked and thought was a bullish decision both by the OC and wolford. jim grobe kicks there every time, and louisville would still win.

Always amused by anyone who compares seasons played nearly a decade apart.

Why? It's pretty common in sports. You know, like, records and stuff.

The only teams I can find with total offense worse than ours right now are:
2002 Rutgers - 210 ypg, 3.08 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2002&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org
2006 Temple - 215 ypg, 3.96 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org
2007 Notre Dame - 242 ypg, 3.52 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org
2008 Washington State - 241 ypg, 3.86 ypp
2008 UCF - 229 ypg, 3.62 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org
2009 New Mexico St. - 229 ypg, 3.86 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org

I see a bad thing and a good thing in going through this. The bad thing is, there's a very good chance we'll have the worst total offense since before 2000 at least (212 ypg, 3.35 ypp after 6 games). The good thing is most of these programs got on track shortly after the seasons mentioned above.

Why? It's pretty common in sports. You know, like, records and stuff.

The only teams I can find with total offense worse than ours right now are:
2002 Rutgers - 210 ypg, 3.08 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2002&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org
2006 Temple - 215 ypg, 3.96 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org
2007 Notre Dame - 242 ypg, 3.52 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org
2008 Washington State - 241 ypg, 3.86 ypp
2008 UCF - 229 ypg, 3.62 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org
2009 New Mexico St. - 229 ypg, 3.86 ypp - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=5&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org

I see a bad thing and a good thing in going through this. The bad thing is, there's a very good chance we'll have the worst total offense since before 2000 at least (212 ypg, 3.35 ypp after 6 games). The good thing is most of these programs got on track shortly after the seasons mentioned above.

Thanks for letting me know there are these things called "records."

If you take out the pick-sixes (4) and the turnovers on the door step (2), we would have the #15 defense in the country.

If you take out the pick-sixes (4) and the turnovers on the door step (2), we would have the #15 defense in the country.
I fail to understand why defensive rankings don't take pick sixes out of the equation in the first place.

Yeah I've never understood why scoring defense wasn't just points allowed on defense (and you can decide where to put special teams touchdowns)

Back