• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best fishing spots in or near Winston?

BubbaJean

Reaction score
My nine year old is wanting to go. Based on his attention span, we need to find a place where he’ll catch something about every 30 seconds.

I know a big kid who will want to go....

When are you thinking of going? This time of year, the fish bite, but slow down drastically. It'll be the spring before they start back up in force.

It’ll be spring before we really get out there but he’s getting a new rod for Christmas so we’ll want to at least try it out sooner.

You might have a bit more luck with catfish or carp this time of year. Bound to be some ponds and such near W-S. Fishing still may be slow, but at least you'll be out there. A good time to go fishing is when you can!

Is there still a “heritage water” trout stream in Mount Airy? I was under the impression that, at least at one time, it was heavily stocked and relatively easy fishing. I have never personally been, though.

Is there still a “heritage water” trout stream in Mount Airy? I was under the impression that, at least at one time, it was heavily stocked and relatively easy fishing. I have never personally been, though.
It's not Mount Airy, but Stone Mountain State Park has stocked streams. You have to buy the trout stamps to fish it, though, so I've heard.

It's not Mount Airy, but Stone Mountain State Park has stocked streams. You have to buy the trout stamps to fish it, though, so I've heard.
Yeah and the game wardens are pretty brutal there. I'd just drive a couple extra mins and fish Helton in Ashe personally. It's a lot better fishing at this time of year. Still need a trout stamp either way.

If you want something really, really easy for a 9 year old, you could do the pond at Graylyn. You're going to laugh when you pull up, because it's not much more than a puddle. But it has a lot of bluegill in it, a few large mouth bass, and there are no trees around it so it's very easy for a kid to fish there. Just get some worms and you're guaranteed to catch a lot of fish. And the folks at Graylyn are OK with people fishing there. You could also go around the corner to the small lake at SECCA, for a slightly more challenging, but still pretty easy, fishing experience.

CG Hill in Pfafftown and Village Point in Clemmons are two bigger lakes that are easy to fish. Plus, in the next few weeks they'll get stocked with trout, which are fun to catch.

Back