• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best kept secret in NC

El's is kinda meh. It's setup makes people think the food is better than it is.

Circa probably has the most interesting food in the area. The chef's personal taste preference also seems to match mine, so I'm probably bias.

It is an old crappy brick building with picnic tables. Why would that make anyone think the food is better than it is?

That is a stupid assumption. Sure there are a few places that can pull that off, usually because they were the only option in a particular area so had a captive market for a period of time and built up a reputation by default. But the vast majority of restaurants in cheap buildings sell cheap crappy food. Captain Ds is in shitty buildings because they sell cheap crappy food.

Agree with 2&2. I doubt “we” overrate these places. They have a good local rep and when outsiders don’t like it as much. There is something to be said about authenticity of a place that’s been around for a long time or scarcity of a place that’s only open 11-2 Tuesday to Friday or something like that. But the main thing is there’s rarely consensus about restaurants. Even the “best” restaurants will get a meh or “I like X better” from some people.

Back