• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best password manager

Maurice

Reaction score
I'm tired of coming up with new and creative passwords for my on-line accounts. Looking for recommendations. Beyond safety, I'd prefer something that is easy to use and has a master password recovery function.

been using 1password for years and it's great. no complaints

ITC's system:

GUEST_d2105462-71e8-4ff3-923c-bad8534ae821

laugh all you want but just wait until Skynet hacks your America's Test Kitchen account

1Password has also been my go-to.

Definitely don't use lastpass.

New company uses Keeper, don't have a ton of experience with it but it seems ok too so far.

Serious question, can somebody explain to me the benefits of a PW manager? Why would I trade the risk that any one of my online accounts gets hacked for the risk that every single one of them gets hacked through the PW manager? What am I missing?

SafeInCloud and everything is encrypted locally - ironically I don't store anything in the cloud - one-time cost of $4

I just keep my gmail password updated and then click the "forgot my password" link when ever I log into any other system and it sends a password rest link to my gmail. It's a perfect system.

Serious question, can somebody explain to me the benefits of a PW manager? Why would I trade the risk that any one of my online accounts gets hacked for the risk that every single one of them gets hacked through the PW manager? What am I missing?
A good password manager (1Password) will have security practices that make the risk of this happening effectively 0%. Even if someone were to access your vault, they wouldn't have your public key or PW needed to actually decrypt it (and crucially 1Password does not retain this information).

Without a password manager to have long, random, unguessable passwords people tend to use same or similar passwords for many different services. If one website gets hacked then it often provides access to lots of other ones

A good password manager (1Password) will have security practices that make the risk of this happening effectively 0%. Even if someone were to access your vault, they wouldn't have your public key or PW needed to actually decrypt it (and crucially 1Password does not retain this information).
Thanks. That's interesting and I trust that you're correct, but I feel like that's the same line I get from every company that asks for my personal data, and then six months later I get the obligatory "sorry, your account was hacked and all your personal data including DOB and SSN are on the dark web, we'll be glad to monitor your credit for six weeks for free to make it up to you" letter. IMO there need to be much stiffer penalties for businesses that allow this stuff to happen.

Thanks. That's interesting and I trust that you're correct, but I feel like that's the same line I get from every company that asks for my personal data, and then six months later I get the obligatory "sorry, your account was hacked and all your personal data including DOB and SSN are on the dark web, we'll be glad to monitor your credit for six weeks for free to make it up to you" letter. IMO there need to be much stiffer penalties for businesses that allow this stuff to happen.
The big difference being those company's business isn't securing your data (they do the bare minimum to comply with whatever standards they're supposed to), whereas these password managers have everything on the line if they fuck it up (see: LastPass breach, which was bad but not world ending since people had time to change master passwords to mitigate any risk, but it cost them all of their reputation).

Back