• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Philly Cheesesteak in Winston?

this is so dumb. if your California friend is making sandwiches he can put whatever he wants on them, but that doesn't make it right.

A cheese steak hoagie is often (always if not called a hoagie, or in the garden) referred to as California style. So yeah

Good to know. I was going for not-generic-grocery-store rolls.

My local Acme sells Liscio's rolls as their generic grocery store rolls...might be worth looking into where you can get them.

Apparently putting mayo (and lettuce and tomato) on a cheesesteak is normal in Pittsburgh. At least that's what I gathered after some jerk yelled at me and stiffed me on a tip because the cheeseteak I served him in my waitressing days didn't have mayo, lettuce, and tomato on it. (Which was literally on the menu as a cheesesteak hoagie.)

Surprised they didn't want fries on the damn thing.

Pittsburghers don't tip anyway.

All this indignation about what constitutes a real cheesesteak. I bet half the schmos on here do not even know there are different meats used and which makes a better steak.

An authentic cheesesteak is generally considered to be made with sliced ribeye.

Apparently putting mayo (and lettuce and tomato) on a cheesesteak is normal in Pittsburgh. At least that's what I gathered after some jerk yelled at me and stiffed me on a tip because the cheeseteak I served him in my waitressing days didn't have mayo, lettuce, and tomato on it. (Which was literally on the menu as a cheesesteak hoagie.)

Surprised they didn't want fries on the damn thing.

They also put fries IN a pastrami sandwich.

Context is everything.

First Street special today was a "Mexican Philly" which just meant replace the cheese with queso and add jalapenos. It was okay but not a philly in any way other than it had beef, peppers, and onions.

LEEEEEEEEEEES

the one out in montco on 2nd street pike is awesome

Fuck you, now I want Lee's for dinner and I don't feel like driving to get it.

As a note to anyone in NC or SC they are putting a Lee's hoagies in Asheville and another in Lake Wylie, SC.

If you want a fucking kickass Italian hoagie or a good cheese steak I'd definitely suggest hitting those places up when they open.

Go to Tony Luke's on the boardwalk. It's definitely not the best Philly cheese steak, but it's close enough to get the idea.

I would argue that Tony Luke's is in the same category of terrible as Pat's/Geno's.

The suggestion from wfumike02 is correct, if you are in AC just go to White House subs. I've been going to that place every time I visit the jersey shore for about 20 years and I've never been disappointed with either their subs or their cheesesteaks.

Last edited:
Alex's over in Lewisville has the best cheesesteak I've found in WS.

Back