• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Places to stay at Oak Island?

deputydeacon

Reaction score
I am looking to take the family down to Oak Island for our first ever visit there. We are looking for a house, preferably beach front, pet friendly, the week after the July 4th. We don't have small children, just the wife and I and two grown daughters.

I have heard something in regards to brackish water/not much beach in certain areas??

Was thinking about Caswell Beach simply because of the no leash policy from dawn to 9:00 am but the number of houses for rent seem to be fewer.

Would welcome any and all advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance!

the long beach area is pretty nice. my wifes fam has been going there for years.

I am looking to take the family down to Oak Island for our first ever visit there. We are looking for a house, preferably beach front, pet friendly, the week after the July 4th. We don't have small children, just the wife and I and two grown daughters.

I have heard something in regards to brackish water/not much beach in certain areas??

Was thinking about Caswell Beach simply because of the no leash policy from dawn to 9:00 am but the number of houses for rent seem to be fewer.

Would welcome any and all advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance!

I've gone down that exact same week to Oak Island the past 2 years and stayed at a friend's beach house at 37th street. The ocean water is definitely brown and brackish due to the proximity to the river (last year there was a mfing alligator on the beach), which is the worst part about Oak Island, but otherwise it's pretty cool. Couldn't tell you about other specific areas and beach widths, although I'll say I've been running up and down that beach and never noticed any particularly narrow stretches except at very high tide. Not crowded at all, which was nice. A handful of pretty good restaurants.

Bag Oak Island (which is acutally Yaupon and Long Beach) and go to Sunset Beach.

Never had a problem in 10 years w brackish water at OKI. oak Island accommodations and Margaret Rudd have good houses, I would call them. OKI is also the only beach that allows your dog to be on the beach 24/7 and most of the houses accommodate pets. Prob one of maybe 3 beaches in the SE that do so too

Thanks for the info thus far. Not real excited about brown water and gator bait but also have heard some good things from people as well.
Any nice restaurants nearby?

Matt's parents live in Southport an so we hit the beach at OKI often. Their community has a beach house and pool near 72nd and we have never had an issue with brown water/brackish ness.

Will get back to this thread re: restaurants. I can never remember the names of places.

Provision Company in Southport
Thai Peppers in Southport
Oak Island Restaurant in Long Beach is okay

its some BBQ place there thats good I know that. I guess say hey gone cray talkin bout backish water! wat dat anywho? It's a beach at the ocean! Ain't no river sucka!

Are you guys talking about brackish ocean water or brackish drinking water? If it's the former, (a) I don't know why anyone would care and (b) this is a statement of fact, as it is indeed brackish due to proximity to the Cape Fear River. If it's the latter, I did not notice the drinking water being gross, so I think you're good there.

The ocean was definitely brown where we stayed last year for the whole week. Can't recall thinking about it in prior years' trips, so maybe it was just a weird phenomenon when I stayed there last year.

For restaurants, there's a place in OKI called Blue Point Restaurant at the marina that is awesome.

We booked through this place when we went last year. It may be a little late in the game for beach front but there are still some left according to this website. Food Lion is not too far away and we bought fresh seafood to grill. The water didn't seem any different from any other beach I've been too. http://www.rentalsatthebeach.com/

Check out the local seafood guy there at OKI, Haag & Sons. They go out every morning and get fresh stuff, its always great.

Oak Island Restie is not fancy but they fry a mean fish.

The closest "Calabash" caliber place is prob Betty's in Holden.

The BBQ place on OKI is really good, tasty stuff there.

Thai by the Sea is also nice for takeaway.

Back