• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best song of the new millennium?

No Interpol on the Grantland list is an egregious error. I think there are better Strokes songs than Last Nite, even if it is their most recognizable (Reptilia and You Only Live Once, to name a couple). Better Gorillaz songs also. Rebellion (Lies) should be much higher than a 16. Whatever, though. It isn't a terrible list, even though there were several matchups I didn't vote for because I didn't like either song.

leave it to townie and friends to turn a fun tournament into a pissing match about music. it's a tournament of the best radio songs since 2000 - not best songs, period.

leave it to townie and friends to turn a fun tournament into a pissing match about music. it's a tournament of the best radio songs since 2000 - not best songs, period.

It's a very serious matter. Victory or death.

lol all i did was post the link, admit they made good choices, and give my own list.

Because I know each of you is on the edge of your seat waiting to see my votes, I won't make you wait any longer. As an added bonus, I've also added degree of difficulty in my decision (1-10, 1 being easy as pie; 10 being next to impossible).

My college years:
Ignition (1)
Fell in Love with a Girl (2)
Last Nite (10) (I had to listen to both about three times each and I ended up deciding that I love the verses and chorus in 99 problems, but I'm not positive they work together quite as well as they could)
In Da Club (8) (I like Wilco. A lot. But what song sounds more like that period to me? In Da Club.)
Crazy in Love (2)
Hey Ya (10) (Two of the best songs in this bracket and they go head to head in round 1? Hey Ya likely should win the whole thing though.)
Cry Me River (3) (The best song JT has made.)
Hot in Herre (2) (Much like with the Wilco comment...this song just screams mid-college to me.)

When we were still good at sports:
Since U Been Gone (1) (I unabashedly love this song. Arcade Fire is fine, but I wouldn't have picked Rebellion.)
Mr. Brightside (1)
Take Me Out (2) (Really, they pick Jesus Walks as their Kanye song?)
My Love (5) (Don't love either song)
Umbrella (8) (See previous comment and amplify it. Can we bring in a pinch hitter? Where the hell is Crazy by Gnarls Barkley?)
All My Friends (9) (A really, really tough decision. I think the older I get, the more I love LCD Soundsystem, but Yeah is a classic mid-2000s track.)
Rehab (2)
Drop It Like It's Hot (1)

More good songs than you realize years:
Rolling in the Deep (5) (The Robyn song is also really, really good.)
Party in the U.S.A (10) (Perhaps the catchiest song of the millennium against a song I adore. Miley's pop tune is just too good though. I can't get it out of my head even after listening to 20 other songs since then.)
Bad Romance (1)
Teenage Dream (10) (Much like PITUSA vs. Kids. Teenage Dream, to me, is just about the perfect pop song about teenage love. It really gets everything right. Had they picked Listzomania, I'm not sure what I would have done.)
The House That Build Me (1) (Ke$ha should never be allowed to record music again.)
Single Ladies (7) (I don't like Single Ladies at all, but I loathe that Vampire Weekend song. Put anything else up against Single Ladies and my vote would shift.)
Empire State of Mind (1)
My Girls (1) (It won't win this matchup, but it should.)

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:
The House That Heaven Built (3) (I never really felt the Ni**as in Paris vibe.)
Red Solo Cup (1) (Don't like Red Solo Cup, very much dislike A$AP's track.)
Springsteen (1) (Fantastic song.)
Pyramids (3)
Blurred Lines (3) (Meh for both, but Blurred Lines will stick around longer.)
Midnight City (8) (The first tough matchup in this bracket. Never underestimate the vengeance of Taylor Swift, but M83's song is better.)
Get Lucky (1)
Call Me Maybe (1) (I don't hate all electronica, just most. Skrillex is no exception.)

Last edited:
Ignition (Remix) is going to be hard to top.

Still remember DLing this shit on Kazaa like it was yesterday.

The people at Grantland need to stick to sports. Awful awful bracket. You could tell there was one indie bro in the room but he had such a stick up his ass he pushed for the wrong songs.

Really lowest common denominator stuff from them though with all of the radio hip hop and r&b. Like not even good hip hop songs have some high seeds. This is especially shameful since there was some really, really good hip hop from the early 00s.

Really, really blatant error to not include Seven Nation Army, especially with its sports co-ops.

I was actually rebooting my best of playlist the other day.

Some of my tops songs for the decade (these shouldnt be 'the' top songs, but they are mine, and they are classics):

Hey Ya
The Avalanches - Live at Dominoes
Cold War Kids - We Used to Vacation
Strokes - Take It or Leave It
Trick Daddy - In Da Wind
The Roots - The Seed 2.0
Yeasayer - 2080
Washed Out - Feel It All Around
Vampy Wknd - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
The XX - Crystalised
Florence & the Machine - You Got the Love (XX Remix)
Santigold - LES Artists
Justice - DANCE
Felix Da Housecat -- Madame Hollywood
Deer Tick - Baltimore Blues No. 1
Animal Collective - My Girls
Band Of Horses - The Funeral
Kanye West - Heartless
Peter, Bjorn and John - Young Folks
Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer

Oh Im bored now. Thats enough.

Last edited:
Fireworks is such a better song than My Girls.

And I bet the one indie bro in the room was Ian Cohen. Not exactly a slouch.

And Heartless as your Kanye pick, TAB? For shame.

Back