• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best way to buy a used iPhone that is not stolen

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
My wife hates her phone but her contract is not up for another year. She would like to switch to an iPhone but buying a new one without a contract is stupid expensive. Is there a good way to buy a used phone that you can be sure is not stolen? Anyone on here want to sell theirs?

Trying to get an S3 the same way and have been looking on Craigs List. I have inquired about 5 or 6 so far and on every one when I ask if they will send me the ESN number or let them know that if we meet I am going to call the carrier to check the ESN, nobody ever responds.

www.cowboom.com is a company related to Best Buy. I've gotten a few phones from them and been happy--just read the descriptions of the condition of the phone.

Skins, I replaced my wife's iPhone 4S yesterday with a 5. It's a black Verizon 16GB. I was going to put it on swappa for $290 gross, which would net me $280, less paypal fee. If you or someone else from Wake wants it, I'll let it go for $270. One owner; was in a Casemate case and had a screen protector the entire time. I bought it new from Verizon - no drops, no scratches, no nicks. I can send pictures if you or anyone is interested.

I have the original box, the charger and maybe a screen protector (will have to look). The case is going to a friend. If I don't hear anything by Saturday, I'll list it on swappa.

BTW, swappa is the best place to buy, except when you know you can trust the seller.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is the best place to buy, but I sold my iphone 4 for $200 on ebay last year. It wasn't stolen.

Trying to get an S3 the same way and have been looking on Craigs List. I have inquired about 5 or 6 so far and on every one when I ask if they will send me the ESN number or let them know that if we meet I am going to call the carrier to check the ESN, nobody ever responds.

Are you looking for a Verizon one? I'm looking to drop them for T-Mobile this weekend and will have my S3 up for grabs. Figuring I would go Ebay or some other route, but helping out a Deac sounds much better (and easier).

Skins, I replaced my wife's iPhone 4S yesterday with a 5. It's a black Verizon 16GB. I was going to put it on swappa for $290 gross, which would net me $280, less paypal fee. If you or someone else from Wake wants it, I'll let it go for $270. One owner; was in a Casemate case and had a screen protector the entire time. I bought it new from Verizon - no drops, no scratches, no nicks. I can send pictures if you or anyone is interested.

I have the original box, the charger and maybe a screen protector (will have to look). The case is going to a friend. If I don't hear anything by Saturday, I'll list it on swappa.

BTW, swappa is the best place to buy, except when you know you can trust the seller.

Might be interested...let me check with the wife and I will let you know.

I would love to get rid of my stupid iPhone....I need the damn htc one or gs4 to hurry up and come out on Verizon....

Back