• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best wine for under $40

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I would post this on the wine thread but I am in a rush. Its a buddy of mine's birthday tomorrow and I need a gift of wine as he is a wine lover. Please give me some suggestions between about $25-$40. I can think of a few, but would prefer some stuff I've never bought or heard of.

So what styles of wine do you think your friend enjoys? Or not?

There's no "best" wine for under 40 bucks. But plenty of great ones to choose from. Sounds like your friend is going to get a nice gift.

I would post this on the wine thread but I am in a rush. Its a buddy of mine's birthday tomorrow and I need a gift of wine as he is a wine lover. Please give me some suggestions between about $25-$40. I can think of a few, but would prefer some stuff I've never bought or heard of.

For around $20 but tastes like $40, Conn 2007 Cabernet

Do you have a total wine or other legit wine store with people who know their shit nearby? If so, ask the for the best $40 bottle of 2009 red burgundy (Pinot-France), best 09 southern rhone (red) or best 09 red Bordeaux (cab/merlot).

You could also ask for the best white Chablis under $40, or the best Italian white under $40

A wine lover would be happy with any of these

Saldo and Prisoner come to mind. Both made by Orin Swift.

Do you have a total wine or other legit wine store with people who know their shit nearby? If so, ask the for the best $40 bottle of 2009 red burgundy (Pinot-France), best 09 southern rhone (red) or best 09 red Bordeaux (cab/merlot).

You could also ask for the best white Chablis under $40, or the best Italian white under $40

I have a total Wine around the corner that I can get to tomorrow. This guy has almost all the wines by Orin Swift (Prisnor, etc.) and is almost on a firtst name basis with Curt.

For the idiot that asked about styles, I true wine lover loves all "styles". That said, give me a really good southern Italian Red.

Benton Lane Pinot Noir - $20ish

D'arenberg Laughing Magpie $30ish - is an Australian GSM

Both are fantastic and can be had at total wine

Says the francophile

I saw you said southern Italian? Did you mean farther south than Tuscany? If so, you're probably looking at a Nero d'Avola, but nothing from the far south is as highly regarded as wines from Tuscany or the north.

Back