• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

On of the biggest jokes in this administration, and that’s saying a lot.

Rick Perry will not be outdone, dammit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/11/02/does-rick-perry-still-not-know-what-his-job-is/?utm_term=.d93e9f89c6e9

The energy secretary had recently returned from a trip to Africa when he said in an interview that “people are dying … because of the lack of energy they have there.” (Fine.) He continued, “It’s going to take fossil fuels to push power out into those villages.” (Slightly less fine.) And then the doozy: “But also from the standpoint of sexual assault, when the lights are on, when you have light that shines, the righteousness, if you will, on those types of acts.” (Yikes.)

There are so many stupid fucking people running shit right now -- draining the swamp and filling it with raw sewage.

What does that last part mean? I don’t speak imbecile.

There are a lot of rumors floating around that Betsy DeVos is about to resign.

Officials expect DeVos to resign from Trump administration

The secretary is reportedly frustrated by her lack of influence

Thomas Toch, director of independent education think tank FutureEd, told Politico that DeVos was ignorant of the job's constraints when she accepted it and insiders are already preparing for her to vacate the position.
"She can’t fill her senior staff slots," he said. "Morale is terrible at the department
."

DeVos was roundly criticized for her lack of basic knowledge about education policy during the confirmation hearing process. She blames President Donald Trump's transition team, claiming she was "undercoached."

One doubts most nominees for education secretary need to be coached not to cite grizzly bears as a reason for guns in schools.

"I’ll tell you, in Washington education circles, the conversation is already about the post-DeVos landscape, because the assumption is she won’t stay long," Toch told Politico. "I think she’s been probably one of the most ineffective people to ever hold the job.”

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/06/officials-expect-devos-to-resign-from-trump-administration_partner/

I mean, I don't doubt they are all "undercoached" because there doesn't seem to be a competent or helpful soul in this entire administration. You're supposed to know something about education before taking the job though, even if it takes a minute to pick up on the bureaucracy.

Education secretary: ‘It’s hurtful to me when I’m criticized for not upholding the rights of students’

“It's hurtful to me when I’m criticized for not upholding the rights of students, the civil rights of students,” DeVos told a small group of media outlets, as reported by Politico.

“Nothing could be further from the truth,” she added. “I have to turn it back around and say why do I keep getting criticized for that? I mean, nothing that I’ve done would suggest otherwise.”

Education Dept. Says It Will Scale Back Civil Rights Investigations

DeVos Pick to Head Civil Rights Office Once Said She Faced Discrimination for Being White

f0105a169Abluemask.jpg

The education system was in dire need of a strong leader. They got DeVos and Trump.

It's a shame that Obama had to spend the majority of his effort getting rid of No Child Left Behind, because he is exactly the education loving, uber nerd the system needed. It's crazy to me how every rational person supports education, yet we have let our system crumble over the years, and even allowed the idea of higher education come under attack.

We are going to end up with a generation that is only trained to do one job and is incapable of adapting.

Last edited:
What the fuck do we value anyhow?

Ignorance? Stupidity? "Liberty", I guess. The freedom to believe and teach whatever we want, true or not.

I think it's more a poisonous hatred of "them" a'tellin' "us" what's what. And the south (and conservative Christians generally for semi-related reasons) is still ripe for this tripe as a hangover of the damn civil war and its aftermath.

Does any other Western nation allow so many private "Christian" schools which use a curriculum that is so opposed to mainstream scientific thinking and more or less brainwashes kids into fundamentalist religious thinking? Or allows so many parents to homeschool their kids with only a minimum of oversight and requirements? Or deliberately undermines its own public school system by allowing (and partially funding with taxpayer dollars) private companies and individuals to start for-profit charter schools that have fewer regulations and requirements than public schools? It's a wonder that our public schools are as good as most of them are, given all of the forces and pressures working on them.

What the fuck do we value anyhow?

Ignorance? Stupidity? "Liberty", I guess. The freedom to believe and teach whatever we want, true or not.

I think it's more a poisonous hatred of "them" a'tellin' "us" what's what. And the south (and conservative Christians generally for semi-related reasons) is still ripe for this tripe as a hangover of the damn civil war and its aftermath.

Trump values her money and blind support.

Does any other Western nation allow so many private "Christian" schools which use a curriculum that is so opposed to mainstream scientific thinking and more or less brainwashes kids into fundamentalist religious thinking? Or allows so many parents to homeschool their kids with only a minimum of oversight and requirements? Or deliberately undermines its own public school system by allowing (and partially funding with taxpayer dollars) private companies and individuals to start for-profit charter schools that have fewer regulations and requirements than public schools? It's a wonder that our public schools are as good as most of them are, given all of the forces and pressures working on them.

No, but Pakistan and their Madrasses might.

Well, she outlasted Franken, anyway. She who laughs last, still probably doesn't understand the difference between proficiency and growth.

Back