• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bias Reporting System at Wake?

It's the "rap video" party. No one ever called it "dress like a black person" party. At least not in my time at Wake.

This. Whether that makes a difference, I don't know.

Maybe the students these days are dumber :)noSAT) and actually call it "dress like a black person" or maybe the girl that complained was exaggerating. From the supposed quotes she attributes to unnamed freshmen that don't sound like something a real person would actually say in public, I'm inclined to think the latter

Isn't the real problem that you simply cannot make fun of anything that can in any way be connected to minorities anymore? There is a black guy in the article that states how he dresses conservatively. So the party is mocking the hip hop culture more than black people in general. GET OVAH IT. Can't have your cake and eat it too. No different than a redneck party.

These were some of the best parties at Wake

lol that we're going to claim "rap video party" =/= dress ghetto/like a black person. stupid rich white kids be stupid rich white kids

Isn't the real problem that you simply cannot make fun of anything that can in any way be connected to minorities anymore? There is a black guy in the article that states how he dresses conservatively. So the party is mocking the hip hop culture more than black people in general. GET OVAH IT. Can't have your cake and eat it too. No different than a redneck party.

I don't think a bunch of white people dressing as white stereotypes is the same as a bunch of white people dressing as black stereotypes.

You might want to go back another 80 years.

here's a rendering of the very first Rap Video Party

images

KA has been at Wake since at least the early 70's.

I think KA has been at wake since at least the 50s. During the late 60-s mid 70s, they and Kappa Sigs were very racist.

Deke started in 68-70 some time.

I was going to make a joke that Thomas Dixon, the most famously racist alumnus of Wake Forest and author of pro-KKK novels, was probably a KA, and sure enough:

In September 1879 Dixon enrolled at Wake Forest where he studied history and political science. As a student there, Dixon performed remarkably well, and in 1883, after only four years, Dixon earned a masters degree. His record at Wake Forest was outstanding, and he earned the distinction of achieving the highest student honors ever awarded at the university to that date.[7] While a student there, he was a founding member of their chapter of Kappa Alpha Order fraternity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Dixon,_Jr.

See, if I were invited to that party, I'd dress up as Matisyahu, but then there'd probably be some OUTRAGE about that too

Dressing like 2 Chainzz is a caricature of the hip hop culture, which, people of many races participate in.

doesn't really pass the bullshit test, IMO. The party organizers might see it like that, but anyone who's been to college knows that almost every single participant just sees it as "dress ghetto"

Back