• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden Gives Emotional Talk to Military Support Group

RaleighDevil

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ties/2012/05/25/gJQAdUMcqU_story.html?hpid=z2

Vice President Biden, speaking Friday to families and friends of military personnel killed in action, gave a powerful retelling of the death of his wife and daughter 40 years ago — saying he’d realized then how grief might push a person to suicide.

“For the first time in my life, I understood how someone could consciously decide to commit suicide,” Biden told a meeting of the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors at a hotel in Crystal City. The group offers counseling to relatives and friends of military personnel who have died. It was holding its 18th annual military survivor seminar.

“Not because they were deranged, not because they were nuts,” Biden continued, according to a transcript. “Because they’d been to the top of the mountain, and they just knew in their heart they’d never get there again, that it was never going to get — never going to be that way ever again. That’s how an awful lot of you feel.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/25/joe-biden-suicide-speech-fallen-troops_n_1546316.html

Biden then gave a painful account of the day of the incident, which took place just weeks before his swearing in as a first-term U.S. senator.

"I was down in Washington hiring my staff and I got a phone call, saying that my family had been in an accident," he said. “And just like you guys know by the tone of the phone call, you just knew. You knew when they walked up the path. You knew when the call came. You knew. You just felt it in your bones: Something bad happened. And I knew -- I don’t know how I knew, but the caller said my wife is dead. My daughter is dead. And I wasn’t sure how my sons were going to make it. They were Christmas shopping and a tractor trailer broadsided them.

"In one instant, killed two of them and, well..." Biden said, his voice brimming with emotion.

After completing his own chronicle of grief and dealing with tragedy, the vice president ended on a positive note, encouraging listeners to stay strong and understand that the darkness cast by the death of a loved one will lift.

"Folks, it can and will get better," Biden said. "There will come a day -- I promise you, and your parents as well -- when the thought of your son or daughter, or your husband or wife, brings a smile to your lips before it brings a tear to your eye. It will happen."

(Biden has intimated that alcohol was involved in the accident, but the other driver was cleared.)

From Wiki: The accident left Biden filled with both anger and religious doubt: "I liked to [walk around seedy neighborhoods] at night when I thought there was a better chance of finding a fight ... I had not known I was capable of such rage ... I felt God had played a horrible trick on me."[34]

Last edited:
Not sure what the criticism is here, Devil. Not everyone sees remembering our fallen troops as a time to grill and hang out. Biden had a personal story to tell from when he was at his worst and felt like maybe his story could help. I know conservatives love to rag on Biden, but he's one of the good guys and this isn't some flubbed speech.

I wasn't aware that I was criticizing him, but maybe you know my mind better than I do.

You didn't make it clear you weren't. That's why people don't just cut and paste and actually add commentary to their posts. I know which side you're coming from so it was a pretty reasonable assumption that you took issue with Biden.

I'm not particularly a fan of Biden but he did a very good job in dealing with one of the greatest, if not the greatest, challenges in life. Having lost a brother, I understand that it's the "never again" that is the most difficult to learn to accept.

Like every other one of your posts you wanted to put Biden or Dems down. The wiki post clearly shows this.

Nearly every one of your threads is an attack on Dems.

It's sad you try to put down honest, human emotion. It's sad but even sadder is that it is expected from you.

why don't you read what he said instead of assuming. Nahhhhhhhhhhh

Milhouse, he didn't say anything. It was a cut and paste job. If bobknightfan cut and pasted an article about Romney, you wouldn't just assume he was being favorable to Romney.

Biden is cranking it up on the campaign trail. He's a good guy to have out there to highlight that Romney has no idea what an average American deals with in their daily lives.

Milhouse, he didn't say anything. It was a cut and paste job. If bobknightfan cut and pasted an article about Romney, you wouldn't just assume he was being favorable to Romney.

It was not a political speech. What difference between that and the Romney hypothetical do you not get?

I don't consider Biden a menace to the country; I can't say the same thing about the community organizer. That, however, is another subject. Too bad the thread had to be sacrificed on the altar of political partisanship.

Last edited:
Raleigh, just do more than cut and paste and make your intentions clear. We're not mindreaders.

Biden is cranking it up on the campaign trail. He's a good guy to have out there to highlight that Romney has no idea what an average American deals with in their daily lives.

Ha! Joe Biden has been in Washington for 40 years. Yeah, real man of the people.

Ha! Joe Biden has been in Washington for 40 years. Yeah, real man of the people.

Shh....He's "Scranton" Joe Biden, not some Washington insider who has been in Congress ever since he was Constitutionally allowed to be and has run for President twice.

yeah snd. you are WRONG!

It will be 40 years next january. Why do you LIE?!?!?!?!?

Back