• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big 10 Coaches crying about Urban Meyer's recruiting

I hate tO$U as much as anyone, and hate anyone who ever coached at Florida even more. But Meyer's got a job to do and as long as he's not doing anything illegal to get the players, more power to him.

I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help pass his opposing coaches' resumes around when they lose their jobs for not doing the same.

It shouldn’t bother me but I hate writers that come up with an idea for an article but then do no actual research to confirm that the idea has a basis in fact. Thoughts:

Bielema’s argument that there is a gentlemen’s agreement among Big Ten coaches that is based on common respect that keeps them from recruiting each other's committed players is hilarious. This is coming from the guy who is the most disliked coach in the league, having gone out of his way to run up scores against coaches on the hot seat (Bill Lynch and Tim Brewster), both of whom were fired soon after being humiliated by UW. Common respect? Not for Bielema.

Big Ten coaches have been stealing each other’s recruits for years and years, and the idea that Meyer is the first to do it is dumb beyond words. In this case, the kid that Urban flipped was a lifelong OSU fan who wanted to go to OSU. The idea that Meyer should have ignored the kid because of a previous commitment that predated Meyer’s hiring is absurd.

Four years ago, Joe Tiller was apoplectic when Rich Rod stole a wr (I think it was Roy Roundtree) at the last second from the Boilers (also nabbing Michael Shaw from PSU on signing day). I loved that because Tiller was probably the worst offender of this “agreement”, having routinely poached kids committed to Illinois and Indiana over the years. Purdue stole an Illinois committment two days ago and no one said a word. Last year, Michigan stole Purdue’s QB recruit at the last second, and no one thought a thing of it.

Big Ten coaches routinely recruit committed kids from non Big Ten teams which strikes me as no more or less unethical. Every second tier Big Ten team has stolen a MAC recruit or two when it needed to add a kid or two at the end of a recruiting cycle. Bottom line, Big Ten teams have been poaching each other’s recruits for years and the idea that Urban Meyer has brought the concept to the Big Ten is just wrong.

There have been significant differences historically between the Big Ten and the SEC with respect to recruiting (oversigns, admissions, etc.), but recruiting previously committed kids is not one of those differences.

Bielema’s argument that there is a gentlemen’s agreement among Big Ten coaches that is based on common respect that keeps them from recruiting each other's committed players is hilarious. This is coming from the guy who is the most disliked coach in the league, having gone out of his way to run up scores against coaches on the hot seat (Bill Lynch and Tim Brewster), both of whom were fired soon after being humiliated by UW. Common respect? Not for Bielema.

Horseshit. Go back and look at those games. They were playing 2 and 3d strings in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I think Bielema is a douche, but this running up the score thing is both untrue and for big, whiny vagines.

It's only a matter of time until Meyer and Ohio St. get slapped with more violations. Or Meyer pretends he has health issues and runs away again.

Last edited:
This is all about nothing. Schools do this all the time. That's why there is a national signing day in February.

Horseshit. Go back and look at those games. They were playing 2 and 3d strings in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I think Bielema is a douche, but this running up the score thing is both untrue and for big, whiny vagines.

It's only a matter of time until Meyer and Ohio St. get slapped with more violations. Or Meyer pretends he has health issues and runs away again.

Throwing the ball downfield when you have 70 some points on the board is running up the score. Going for two in the 4th quarter when you have a big lead is running up the score. I watched those games. Bielema is a douche and in the case of poaching recruits, a serious hypocrite.

This is all about nothing. Schools do this all the time. That's why there is a national signing day in February.

Exactly. Bielema does it just like everyone else, which is why he comes off as such a whiny bitch.

Exactly. Bielema does it just like everyone else, which is why he comes off as such a whiny bitch.

Can you list someone who verballed to a Big Ten team that he stole? Not saying it didn't happen. I wouldn't put it past him.

Throwing the ball downfield when you have 70 some points on the board is running up the score. Going for two in the 4th quarter when you have a big lead is running up the score. I watched those games. Bielema is a douche and in the case of poaching recruits, a serious hypocrite.

pass was thrown by a backup QB. Indiana coach said he didn't think the badgers ran up the score.

Minn. game was a 41-23 game. Bielema went by the chart in going for two. When it was 41-23 they ran the clock out.

The running up the score whining is lame.

Can you list someone who verballed to a Big Ten team that he stole? Not saying it didn't happen. I wouldn't put it past him.

Without researching the issue, I can recall a wr from East St. Louis a couple of years ago (Appleton I think) who had verballed to Illinois but signed with UW. Like the kid Bielema just lost, Appleton was receptive to UW's interest after his verbal, and when he signed with UW, it was no big deal.

pass was thrown by a backup QB. Indiana coach said he didn't think the badgers ran up the score.

Minn. game was a 41-23 game. Bielema went by the chart in going for two. When it was 41-23 they ran the clock out.

The running up the score whining is lame.

The Indiana coach defelcted the question by saying it's Indiana's job to stop UW. Lynch was the kind of guy that never said anything negative publicly about anyone or anything. That still doesn't justify Bielema's actions.

I know it was a back up QB, but throwing the ball downfield when you have 70 plus points on the board is running up the score. You can take the position that you don't have a problem with staying in full attack mode (keep the team sharp, give players more experience, etc.), but let's not pretend that UW putting up something like 50-60 points in the second half was not running up the score.

What other coach goes for 2 late in the 4th quarter of a game when you're up 25 (the final was 41-23 but the lead was 41-16 with 4 minutes remaining when he went for 2)? I would give Bielema the benefit of the doubt if it were not for his history of trying to show up Brewster in this rivalry game. Have you seen the video of Bielema sprinting accross the field to shake Brewster's hand after beating Minn., mocking Brewster's comment that if Minny won, he'd be the first accross the field to grab the trophy (I think they play for an axe)? Bielema just isn't a guy that chooses to take the high road.

The Indiana coach defelcted the question by saying it's Indiana's job to stop UW. Lynch was the kind of guy that never said anything negative publicly about anyone or anything. That still doesn't justify Bielema's actions.

I know it was a back up QB, but throwing the ball downfield when you have 70 plus points on the board is running up the score. You can take the position that you don't have a problem with staying in full attack mode (keep the team sharp, give players more experience, etc.), but let's not pretend that UW putting up something like 50-60 points in the second half was not running up the score.

What other coach goes for 2 late in the 4th quarter of a game when you're up 25 (the final was 41-23 but the lead was 41-16 with 4 minutes remaining when he went for 2)? I would give Bielema the benefit of the doubt if it were not for his history of trying to show up Brewster in this rivalry game. Have you seen the video of Bielema sprinting accross the field to shake Brewster's hand after beating Minn., mocking Brewster's comment that if Minny won, he'd be the first accross the field to grab the trophy (I think they play for an axe)? Bielema just isn't a guy that chooses to take the high road.

As I've said, I think Bielema is a douche, but I don't think he ran up the score and I think people who whine about scores being run up are lame. If you have your backups in, you're not running up the score.

BTW -- there were actually 6 1/2 minutes remaining in the Minn. game when they went for two. Minn took one minute to score, and then the Badgers ran out the clock.

Big 10...welcome to the SEC!

All is fair in love, war & recruiting. This has been done for years and should continue. Untill they sign it is fair game. Now if the NCAA wants to help out with costs & such, go to an early signing period in August and coaches will not have to go to all the expense of continuing to recruit players.

Every other sport has a Nov-April, why is football sacred with Feb only? Doing it in August would get the decision over before the hs athlete begins his season. BBall being in Nov does the same thing.

Meyer basically admitted he was calling verbally committed recruits. That's a scumbag move in my opinion. Although if you and another school are recruiting someone heavily, I think it's fine to have one last call to hear the determining factors in the kid's decision, then state your school's case one last time. But if that doesn't work step the F back.

Meyer is a scumbag. I wish Ohio State many more years of over promising and under delivering.

You'll notice Hoke isn't one whining. He grabbed a recruit from Cinci and I'm sure he'll do whatever it takes to keep up with Meyer. The rest of the conference can have their righteous indignation. Hoke and Meyer know the reality of the situation. It's kill or be killed if they want to compete in national championships with the SEC.

It'll be interesting to see how Bill O'Brien recruits. He's young, charismatic and might have a super bowl ring after this weekend. Penn State is a sleeping giant and Meyer is well aware of it.

...right after he wins another national championship or two.

Back