• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big 12

DeaconWalker

Reaction score
Does anyone else get the feeling like the Big 12 is vastly overrated this season? All I've heard all season on ESPN is that they are the best basketball conference, but I can't pinpoint any huge wins any of their teams have had out of conference. Of the Big 12 teams that made it to the tournament only Texas has a road win against an out of conference ranked opponent and that team didn't even make the tournament (UConn). Some of their seeding just seems like an absolute joke to me. There is no way that Kansas deserves a 2 seed or that Oklahoma deserves a 3 seed. And the fact that Oklahoma St. is in the tournament at all based on their wins and losses is baffling to me.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

I just don't understand what impressive wins they have other than when they beat up on each other during their conference play.

Of the Big 12 teams that made it to the tournament only Texas has a road win against an out of conference ranked opponent and that team didn't even make the tournament (UConn).

Kansas won at Georgetown.

Iowa State won at Iowa

No. KU may be a bit overrated, but the conference has a lot of strong, decent teams, but no great ones. I have Iowa St as a bit of a flyer going to the final-4. If there is an overrated conference, it's the BE. Without Nova, they'd be right on par with the A-10.

KU (KenPom #'s, of course) played the #1 overall SOS and the #11 OOC SOS. In fact, 6 of the top 10 SOS are Big12 teams.

That league was just brutally deep this year. Maybe not quite the beef at the top, but every team in that league could really play.

I think the BXII was actually stronger in previous years (including last year, when they didn't have a good showing in the NCAAT). They're still solid this year, but I don't see much difference between them, the Big 10, or the ACC. They have no truly elite teams like they have in the past, but they are brutal in that there isn't much difference between KU at the top and Okie State in 7th. Even KSU was tough at times this season (they did beat KU). The ACC is, IMO, stronger this year overall than it has been in the past, even with Syracuse down, Pitt so-so, and UNC marginal.

KU (KenPom #'s, of course) played the #1 overall SOS and the #11 OOC SOS. In fact, 6 of the top 10 SOS are Big12 teams.

That league was just brutally deep this year. Maybe not quite the beef at the top, but every team in that league could really play.
Where do those other teams rank in ooc sos?

The Big 12 only had one team that sucked: Texas Tech (KP #156). The next worst team in the conference, K State was #81. Every other conference had far more bottom feeders:

ACC: 6 teams worse than #81
PAC 12: 6 teams worse than #81
Big 10: 4 teams worse than #81
SEC: 4 teams worse than #81
Big East: 4 teams worse than #81

With full round robin scheduling in the Big 12, every Big 12 team played a ridiculous number of games against top 50-75 teams. We shall see if that is meaningful or not. Last year, UCONN won it all, and for the most part their conference, the AAC, stunk. The Big 12 was a good overall conference in 2015, but it does not appear that any of their teams are among the best handful of teams in the nation.

Pilch, you forgot TCU. They beat up on patsies OOC, then got to conference play and lost...a lot.

Pilch, you forgot TCU. They beat up on patsies OOC, then got to conference play and lost...a lot.

TCU actually has a reasonably strong KP rating at #56. They went 14-0 OOC, but really one quality OOC win (over Ole Miss).

TCU is #56 this year? Holy hell. What happened? They've been in the 200's for the last 2 years.

That jump is ludicrous.

In my bracket the only team from the Big 12 I had getting out of this weekend was ISU, now even that isn't happening.

Back