• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Green Egg Burns down house (pyrophoric charring)

You do realize that a gas grill creates combustion and heat and has burned plenty of decks/homes too...

Just grill in the driveway or, even better, in the middle of the street. Carry a bottle of Jack and a semi-auto. This is America, damnit.

Gas grills explode all the time.

mushroom-cloud-hb1.jpg

I have my egg on an attached wooden back deck, but it is a painted, treated wooden deck that sits above concrete, so those are somewhat mitigating circumstances. It also is not in a custom wooden table/housing but rather in the metal frame BGE sells.

Still, I watch my egg very closely and I pour down water all around it on the deck before and after each cook to try and catch the errant cinder that may escape.

This guy's story is kind of fishy. 2 inches of rain after the cook and the deck was still dry enough to catch fire? Where does he live? Arizona? Iraq? All of the stuff he was cooking was short cook stuff (wings, thighs), so maybe he just filled the thing to the brim with charcoal and then only cooked for 2 hours, leaving a ton of fuel in there to smolder. It sounds like his table may be the culprit to me, it may have snapped and spilled the egg.

There are two things to consider here. The first, when you run an extension cord from the wall to the other plug, you're creating another connection, another place for a short to occur. Most of those connections are laying on the floor (carpet or rugs are the absolute worst, and please never, ever put a rug over the top of a cord). Their location on the floor gives dust, dander, or dirt an easier route to enter the connection. Your standard appliance plus are mostly attached to a wall outlet a foot or so off the floor which prevents most of this from occurring.

The second is the insulation of the cords. If you cut apart an appliance cord with a 3 prong grounded plug, it's larger wire and better insulated than light and medium duty extension cords. The rating of the cord has to match the pull from the appliance. If you are running an appliance that draws more power than the extension cord is designed to carry, that excess power creates heat. I've got to run to a meeting, but I'll try to find a couple cross sections to show when I return.

this is where most of the problems are and why overloading a cord is such a fire hazard (also answers the question of why cords connected to its appliance are fine, but extensions are a danger). You have to check the power being pulled from the appliance(s) with the rating from Underwriters Laboratories.

Back