• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament

TripleDeacon

Just Another Attorney
Reaction score
Anybody else following this thing? I'm usually down there this week but I'm stuck in High Point this year. Looks like they're having a great day - tons of fish already caught, with one weighed already and another on the way to the docks. Here's your leader in the clubhouse so far, weighing in at 606.9:

FirstBlue2014.jpg

Local boat from Morehead just weighed in a massive 754 pounder to take the lead. Fought it for five and a half hours. That weight would win the whole tourney in all but two years of the 57 year history of the tournament.

BigBlue2014.jpg

Last edited:
This is a haas, but Curtis Strange is on the Blue Rock board of directors.

This should be turned into a show on Discovery Channel or something.

Local boat from Morehead just weighed in a massive 754 pounder to take the lead. Fought it for five and a half hours. That weight would win the whole tourney in all but two years of the 57 year history of the tournament.

Smaller than the 883 pounder a few years ago, but I bet all the donks on board remembered to get a fishing license this time.

^I don't think anyone's making that same mistake for awhile.

They don't give prize money for the biggest white marlin?

I've fished on the boat with the top Dolphin (Haphazard), it's the nicest boat I've ever been on.

Yesterday was crazy. Someone broke their ankle on the Susie Q. The bone was nearly poking through the skin. That had to be a long ride back to the hill. Coast guard, EMS, and Sea Tow were all in the mix yesterday.

James Joyce II is headed to the dock right now to weigh a blue - ETA 6:30. I doubt very seriously it will be big enough to take the lead, but given how good the bite has been this week who knows.

Fish was under limit (less than 400) but was dead by the time they got it to the boat so they brought it in anyway. Disappointing.

Fish at 12:30 weighed in at 412.7, good enough for 3rd (for now). The fish that came in around 3:45 weighed in at 491. New 3rd place. The bitch of it is, 9 pounds short of being the 1st fish in over 500 that's caught by an eligible boat. Gonna be a shame that nobody can collect on that one, unless we see something happen tomorrow (or Saturday).

Last edited:
The most recent fish weighed in at 491. If it had weighed over 500, it would have been worth ~$300K

Yep. And either of the two already in that weighed more than 500 would have won that prize if those boats had been entered in that category. That has to sting a little.

Back