• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Rock

deac04

Reaction score
The Big Rock Blue Marlin tournament is going on in Morehead City this week. So far Double B is in with a 652.8 lb blue marlin for the lead.

Blue Water came in Monday with a 580.6 lb blue which won $284,750 for being the first fish over 500 lbs.

Also on Monday a local boat out of Wilmington (Trophy) caught a 800+ pound blue but it was hit by a propeller causing it to be disqualified...that's an expensive nick.

Here's a link to the website where you can watch live weigh-ins

I've been following the last 3 days. I still can't believe the bullshit last year with the winning team being DQed and losing almost a million dollars because one of the mates who never even helped bring the fish in didn't have a $30 fishing license.

Unreal that the multi-thousand dollar entry fee doesn't include a farking license.

Not Big Rock related but when I was down at the lake this weekend this guy was in the news for catching a 109lb catfish. Thing was fucking huge.

I've been following the last 3 days. I still can't believe the bullshit last year with the winning team being DQed and losing almost a million dollars because one of the mates who never even helped bring the fish in didn't have a $30 fishing license.

Unreal that the multi-thousand dollar entry fee doesn't include a farking license.

Normally a charter license covers the mate's license but in this case, the rules stated that each person had to have a license. It sucks but I guess you have to follow the rules. It was pretty ridiculous though.

I can't imagine what reeling in one of those Marlins is like. The 2 biggest fish that I've caught were a 7'8" sailfish that was like 130lbs or so. The other was a 50+ pound Mahi Mahi, that thing was a beast. The mates used a mini aluminum Louisville slugger as a club to kill the fish. The Mahi Mahi was in Mexico and the Sail was in Islamorada. Both of those things were tough and these Marlin are more than 6x the weight of the Sail.

Two years ago my Aunt brought in the biggest Marlin caught by a woman. Forgot what the payout was but it was huge. They DQ'ed her for using a "banned hook". The hook was legalized the next year. Cost her something like 57,000 IIRC

I can't imagine what reeling in one of those Marlins is like. The 2 biggest fish that I've caught were a 7'8" sailfish that was like 130lbs or so. The other was a 50+ pound Mahi Mahi, that thing was a beast. The mates used a mini aluminum Louisville slugger as a club to kill the fish. The Mahi Mahi was in Mexico and the Sail was in Islamorada. Both of those things were tough and these Marlin are more than 6x the weight of the Sail.

We caught a 12-15 ft shark while fishing off Islamorada. We were fishing for mahi mahi and hooked something massive in a few hundred feet of water. We spent the next 4 hours fighting it to bring it to the surface, and it took 4 of us alternating during the fight. We had no idea what it was at the time, but once we got it up to the boat we realized it was a massive shark, wider than the boat we were fishing from. We got a couple not so great pictures of it and the mate cut the line. He estimated that we had hooked a dolphin and the shark was following the school and hit the dolphin once we had hooked it. It was a pretty awesome story, but we were bummed we spent so much time and effort fighting a damn shark.

About all you can do is back the boat down on the fish and hold on!!

The big story of the tournament so far is that one of the anglers on the boat that is leading the tournament used to "play" for Dean Smith (never heard of the guy, so must have been one of the butt-slappers at the end of the bench). And if that fish holds on the for the win, the Hole connection will be THE story of the tournament.

Back