• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

Cool. Doesn't change the fact that for many students, the cost of attending an elite private school can be similar to attending school in-state, and therefore it's not the black and white choice you made it out to be.

I was responding to a comment asking which degrees were worth the $200k spent to acquire them

if one gets financial aid and does not need to spend $200k, then the question is (obviously...to most) moot, but that's the question I was responding to

Tax reform hangs in balance in critical week for GOP

An influential and independent-minded bloc of deficit hawks, including Sens. Bob Corker of Tennessee and Jeff Flake of Arizona, have aired deep concerns about the tax bill’s red ink, even accounting for any economic growth that a tax overhaul might generate. Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Jerry Moran of Kansas have voiced concerns about including in the tax proposal language that would repeal Obamacare’s individual mandate.

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), so far the only declared “no” on the tax legislation, has argued that the overhaul unfairly disadvantages small businesses. To fix the bill to his liking, the changes would likely cost hundreds of billions of dollars. Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.) has expressed similar concerns on so-called pass-throughs, according to Republicans.

There is private optimism about the legislation’s prospects for now, but the GOP tax bill’s fate will become much clearer once senators return to Washington on Monday. President Donald Trump is scheduled to attend Senate Republicans’ weekly policy lunch on Tuesday, though GOP senators have been far less susceptible to personal arm-twisting from the president than members of the House.

I was responding to a comment asking which degrees were worth the $200k spent to acquire them

if one gets financial aid and does not need to spend $200k, then the question is (obviously...to most) moot, but that's the question I was responding to

but if you live in CA (Berkeley), GA (GT), Indiana (Purdue), Illinois or Michigan, it's really hard to justify paying private tuition with a very, very solid state-funded option available

For many students, "private school tuition" =/= $200k

For many students, "private school tuition" =/= $200k

please do try to keep up; here are the two posts I responded to:

I wouldn't have gotten the degree I did get without lots of scholarships. I surely wouldn't go back for a $200K degree without plenty of help.

I'm curious which degree you think is worth $200K.

Anything STEM related.

but if you live in CA (Berkeley), GA (GT), Indiana (Purdue), Illinois or Michigan, it's really hard to justify paying private tuition with a very, very solid state-funded option available

So when you wrote private tuition, you really meant full private school tuition, ignoring the fact that most students do not pay full price. Gotcha.

So when you wrote private tuition, you really meant full private school tuition, ignoring the fact that most students do not pay full price. Gotcha.

of course when I wrote private school tuition I was referencing the $200k already mentioned; LK quoted it and I was responding to him

that was the fundamental starting point of the conversation I entered

but ok, I'm out

I thought you were just stupid (and I still think that) but clearly you are also a troll

Dunno what you're whining about, looks good for the average Wake Grad to me

7154c52e7e9634842495a0557987f366.jpg

To be clear, in that graphic, positive numbers are net loss to the taxpayer and net gain to the government, and negative numbers are net gain to the taxpayer and net loss to the government. So the poorest half of the country is, by and large, getting whacked so that the top half of the country can get a tax cut. Moreover, the whacks are not nearly enough to pay for the tax cuts, so the plan will pile $1.4 trillion onto the national debt which again is something Republicans pretend to care about when Democrats want to spend money on helping the poorest half of the country.

Republicans will never vote against this bill in any consequential numbers. It would be political suicide. This thing will pass.

To be clear, in that graphic, positive numbers are net loss to the taxpayer and net gain to the government, and negative numbers are net gain to the taxpayer and net loss to the government. So the poorest half of the country is, by and large, getting whacked so that the top half of the country can get a tax cut. Moreover, the whacks are not nearly enough to pay for the tax cuts, so the plan will pile $1.4 trillion onto the national debt which again is something Republicans pretend to care about when Democrats want to spend money on helping the poorest half of the country.

I think most posters just let him post charts and graphs and trolly comments without commenting themselves at this point.

I tend to agree, but we don't need consequential numbers opposing, just a handful.

The only shot at that is Senators who are not running for re-election. This is the most important issue to the Republican coalition as it currently exists. It's the main reason so many support Trump.

The question is why? Are the republicans really true believes in trickle down and bullshit economics, that can’t be right. So then it’s that the wealthy donors have them by the balls and won’t give them money for re-election unless they support a Fuck you poor tax reform. Why do you want to stay in a thankless shitty job when you can leave an get paid way more doing lots of other things with 6 year senator on your resume.

The question is why? Are the republicans really true believes in trickle down and bullshit economics, that can’t be right. So then it’s that the wealthy donors have them by the balls and won’t give them money for re-election unless they support a Fuck you poor tax reform. Why do you want to stay in a thankless shitty job when you can leave an get paid way more doing lots of other things with 6 year senator on your resume.

There are plenty true believers in trickle down. There’s no denying that. Republicans have done a much better job branding and selling the American Dream. The safety net is a wet blanket to that mentality. The guy owning a plumbing company grinding out a good living doesn’t want to think about the potential of falling back when he can dream about making it big. You give the tax cuts to the mega rich because you will be there soon enough.

Cause along with any usual year-end raise, this thing passes and most of the country is going to get a 10-15% bump to their take home pay in 45 days, Pubs will get all the credit and y'all will be left saying why that's bad.

I will get a massive tax cut so I don’t care that much about it as long as two major things don’t occur (they will occur)
1. Republicans never talk about the deficit and debt again. It’s over you can’t pretend to care when you pass this deficit monster.
2. Since the debt and deficit no longer matter you don’t attempt to offset the horrible consequence of less tax revenue and no real growth with cuts to government services (see Kansas)

GOP Senators Doubt Magic Growth Estimates, Push 11th-Hour Tax Rewrite

As the Senate races toward a vote Thursday or Friday on a 250-plus page bill to overhaul the American tax code, with no hearings and without a complete analysis of the bill’s impact, a cadre of Republican senators say they’re working “feverishly” on a last-minute rewrite. Skeptical of the wild economic growth GOP leadership promises will make up for all the revenue lost in the legislation, the change they’re seeking would create a “backstop” or “trigger” mechanism to undo some of the deepest tax cuts in the bill after several years if that magic economic growth doesn’t materialize.

“That way you’re in a situation where you’re not creating deficits, should the projections laid out not be real,” Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) explained to reporters Monday night. “We’ve been working throughout the entire Thanksgiving break on it, working closely with the administration, and some members of the Finance Committee to design a trigger or a backstop—in the event the revenues are not there, there’s a way to recoup them.”

“We have economists saying that if the economy will grow four-tenths of one percent, it’ll pay for itself,” Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) told TPM, adding that he is vehemently opposed to Corker and Lankford’s trigger idea.

Back