• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

Do you guys sit around patting each other on the backs for electing Trump?
You need to be more specific. Do you mean the DNC and Democratic pundit class who wanted Trump to win the Republican primary for the schadenfreude? Do you mean Robby Mook and other Hillary campaign strategists who urged her to run up the popular vote in blue urban centers, rather than focus on the rust belt? Do you mean Hillary herself for failing to recognize that Obama's progressive momentum had run out before trying to run on his coattails? Or do you mean me, a guy who voted for Hillary, but talks shit about centrism on the internet?

It’s kind of hard to see the substantive perspective through the tantrum sometimes
lol, tell me more about how a lack of decorum prevents you from recognizing the failures of centrism to address income inequality.

Next Up: Tax Reform

The far left has essentially the brasky mentality of burn it all down. Instead of voting for the current best option within their lifetime interest they believe that by sitting out and letting the world burn that the change they want will actually happen sometime. Counting on economic change to finally occur to level the playing field despite social stratification always occurring through out human history. However by sitting out there are certain pressing issues that don’t have the time to withstand their temper tantrum rants that will result in no actual future to exist. I hope you enjoy free college while the city you use to live in is underwater and you can’t go outside without a breathing apparatus.

The far left has essentially the brasky mentality of burn it all down. Instead of voting for the current best option within their lifetime interest they believe that by sitting out and letting the world burn that the change they want will actually happen sometime. Counting on economic change to finally occur to level the playing field despite social stratification always occurring through out human history. However by sitting out there are certain pressing issues that don’t have the time to withstand their temper tantrum rants that will result in no actual future to exist. I hope you enjoy free college while the city you use to live in is underwater and you can’t go outside without a breathing apparatus.

Paid for by Claire McCaskill

lol, tell me more about how a lack of decorum prevents you from recognizing the failures of centrism to address income inequality.

We agree about income inequality, I think. Your decorum doesn't prevent my understanding of anything except your own opinions and experiences. You are obviously passionate about this stuff. That's great. I just don't think your approach is going to gain an audience, let alone change anyone's mind. I hope I'm wrong.

tilt essentially made his point.

I'll try to put this another way.

Say I really care about income inequality and have been frustrated that what you call the centrist wing of the democratic party has catered to corporate interests at the expense of their constituents, which is almost certainly true. Even if I think they've been idiots about this, we need a critical mass of support to enact any real change. That is much more likely to happen if I can convince them they are wrong, than if I make them my enemy.

So I can take two approaches:

1. Dear centrist, I recognize the important role business plays in the health of our economy overall, but I believe arguments for instituting extreme cuts for corporations are based on several myths. First, corporate profits are at record highs, and importantly, despite this, corporations are NOT using this excess money to create more jobs, see chart below. They are also not using to raise wages. See second chart. They are instead hoarding cash, issuing stock buy backs, etc. These things only help wealthy stock holders and do little to nothing for our lower and middle class. Furthermore, economist broadly agree that for every dollar saved with corporate tax cuts, only 20 cents actually goes to labor.

If we are to call ourselves a progressive party, I have to believe there are much more efficient uses of a trillion dollars or more that this will cost. Just as two example, we could pay for free universal pre-K, and eliminate the ACA subsidy cliff that makes insurance difficult to afford, and still have money left over to invest in infrastructure.

DP8Q9lIV4AEyg0V.jpg

DP8ScLMVoAEatYA.jpg

OR

2. FUCK YOU CORPORATE LAP DOG SCUM.

I recognize that some people believe that burning it all down is necessary, and that at some unidentified time in the future it could lead to a stronger progressive party that does a better job helping everyone. I just think they haven't thought through the consequences of that, and how many people it would hurt in the near term.

Last edited:
For the Republican Party you have the extreme end voting against their own interest to provide tax cuts to the rich and corporations. In the democrat party you have the centralist voting against their own interests to raise taxes and pay for social programs they don’t need. Pretty easy to lose those people and then who are the people getting hurt, the cry baby whiners.

Back