• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biking in NYC

BaseballBoomhauer

Reaction score
anyone else do this? they just added a bunch of bike lanes, so when i got back about a month ago i took one of my parents' old bikes and have been biking most places.

on one hand, my morning commute is shorter and more enjoyable than if i were in a car or on the subway. on the other, its remarkably dangerous.

people seem to be catching on though, and i see more and more people each week. definitely dominated by the hardcore bikers in their spandex shorts and road bikes, but there are also a lot of regs peeps likes me just cruising around. people keep pulling up next to me at stop lights and asking about it, and someone even apologized for almost hitting me yesterday ("sorry 'bout that, G")

Last edited:
Not sure about NYC in particular, but I felt a hell of a lot safer biking in the middle of London than I do in Winston-Salem.

First of all, there are bike lanes so people are actually aware that cyclists exist. Secondly, people are probably going less than 30mph because they are going to hit traffic or a stop light on the next block. In Winston, even I often go 50 on Polo Road in a car.

anyone else do this? they just added a bunch of bike lanes, so when i got back about a month ago i took one of my parents' old bikes and have been biking most places.

one one hand, my morning commute is shorter and more enjoyable than if i were in a car or on the subway. on the other, its remarkably dangerous.

people seem to be catching on though, and i see more and more people each week. definitely dominated by the hardcore bikers in their spandex shorts and road bikes, but there are also a lot of regs peeps likes me just cruising around. people keep pulling up next to me at stop lights and asking about it, and someone even apologized for almost hitting me yesterday ("sorry 'bout that, G")

Lol... I rented a bike once when I lived in Stuy Town, and I rode it from 14th Street up and around Central Park. Riding along the East River uptown wasn't that bad (but still a little scary), but holy shit I thought I was going to die coming back down 5th and then 2nd Avenue. Unbelievable.

I think the best way to go is apparently up the bike path along the West Side Highway... I never ended up getting around to renting one again though.

I commuted to midtown from Brooklyn on my bike throughout most of 2009. Loved it. Road across the Brooklyn Bridge and up the west side highway then across at about 47th street. Hit the gym, showered, and rolled into work.

Nothing better than riding across the Brooklyn Bridge at 7:30/8AM, unless you are riding across at about 11PM/midnight.

i only have ridden in brooklyn so far, but i plan to take it across the brooklyn bridge this weekend to my sister's place in manhattan. we'll see how that goes.

i will admit that bikers are usually just as much at fault for anything that happens on the road, but they won't tell you that. i blow through stop signs, go through red lights when no one is coming, etc.

Biking in NYC is an extreme sport. I loved it, but it's certainly not for everyone. You better be one damn good bike handler to ride in large chunks of Manhattan.

bike up the west side highway along the river...they have dedicated bike lanes from the battery all the way up to the GW bridge, i think, that are totally separate from vehicular traffic.

also, since they are expanding bike lanes throughout the city, the police are now handing out more and more bike-related traffic tickets. beware...

if i remember correctly from last time i was up there, the upper east side has a separate bike lane on the edge of central park that goes more or less parallel to 5th avenue

bike up the west side highway along the river...they have dedicated bike lanes from the battery all the way up to the GW bridge, i think, that are totally separate from vehicular traffic.

also, since they are expanding bike lanes throughout the city, the police are now handing out more and more bike-related traffic tickets. beware...

I've always wondered how they do this. It's not like you have to carry around ID to ride a bike. What will they do if you don't have ID?

Back