• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Moto projections

Chris Carrawell could shoot threes and had very good handles. Plus he was only an OK defender.

I have to say it's pretty sad to have tags about me when I hadn't even posted on the thread. Some people need to be a little less obsessed.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I think that Carrawell developed his three point shot later in his career. I'm just trying to think of a bigger wing player who could guard several different positions and had a pretty good handle, and a well-rounded game.

He will be similar to Victor Oladipo in two years

I admit I had to look him up but he seems like a good comparison, although "Bill" is listed at about an inch taller and 15 lbs heavier than Oladipo and after seeing him in person I believe it. He is built! Physically he reminds me of Gene Banks.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I think that Carrawell developed his three point shot later in his career. I'm just trying to think of a bigger wing player who could guard several different positions and had a pretty good handle, and a well-rounded game.

Carrawell was a primarily an offensive player. It would be shocking if this what Moto becomes.

The best analogy for Moto is a bigger LD.

He will be similar to Victor Oladipo in two years

This is the best comparison I've seen. Oladipo is also on his way to hearing his name called in the first round of the 2013 or 2014 drafts. His improvement between his freshman and junior seasons has been absurd and he shows a lot of the same skills as a freshman that Moto is showing now.

I stand by my pre-season prediction that Moto possesses the highest ceiling of the seven incoming freshman.

Alvis Rogers!

Well, I saw rj's comparison potential between Devin and Anthony Teachey so I'd thought I'd join in....

I see some Dominique Sutton and PJ Tucker in him. Hopefully more of the latter than the former. This could just be latching onto his 6'6 height and disproportionately long wingspan, though.

How could I forget PJ Tucker? Good one.

I can't judge what kind of game he has to be honest. Sometimes he stays under the basket and battles and other times he steps out and shoots jumpers.

My guy Bill Moto has the potential to be an All-ACC defender. His body is already physically developed and he has the motor and wingspan to go with it. I also don't believe he gets enough credit for his moves around the basket. He has a sneaky good up and under that will continue to develop as his career goes on. It's also worth noting that he's shooting 51% from the field on 2 point field goals. He gets some criticism for his 3 point shooting (lack thereof), but he has only taken 12 threes on the season. His free throw% will continue to grow and his shot selection, which is already decent, will only continue to improve. He also has the potential to be a complete monster in the transition game.

Speaking of guys who could be All-ACC defenders, Madison Jones and Rountree just dominate on defense. Jones is the only guy on the team in the top 500 in the country in both steal percentage and block percentage.

Carrowell was the ACC player of the year his senior season. Granted Carrowell might be the "least great" player to win this award but if Moto even approaches Carrowell's development he will be a stud.

Freshman Season (1996-97)
Carrawell was recruited by Duke University's Mike Krzyzewski as the third most-prized piece of the impressive Class of 2000.[2] He started 12 times out of the 31 games he appeared in during his freshman season (1996–97). He shot 57.6% from the field, averaging 5.5 points per game. He ranked third on the team in offensive rebounds with 47, and on a team that mainly featured perimeter shooting, led the team in slam dunks with 22. Some highlights as a Duke freshman in 1996-97 include Carrawell defending Wake Forest's center Tim Duncan in a matchup that took the Deacons by surprise and blocked a key Wake Forest shot down the stretch and led Duke to a rousing triumph.[3]
[edit]Sophomore Season (1997-98)
As a sophomore in the 1997–1998 season, Carrawell appeared mostly as a reserve with ten starts as Duke posted a 32-4 mark, finishing in the Elite Eight. Carrawell, having scored in double figures 22 times, was fourth of the team's scorers with 10.1 points per game, performing well in two losses to North Carolina, scoring 19 in the first meeting with UNC and 18 in the ACC tournament game. He also ranked fourth on the team in rebounding, averaging 3.1 rebounds per game. Carrawell had offseason surgery on his left shoulder prior to the start of his sophomore season and missed four games due to a strained lower back.
[edit]Junior Season (1998-99)
Carrawell contributed 9.9 points per game as a junior to help his team to reach the Final Four in the 1998-99 season. He ranked third in rebounds and dished out 130 assists to place second on a team stacked with NBA talent. During the 39-game 1998-99 season, Carrawell started every game for a Duke team that was undefeated in the ACC and that fell to the University of Connecticut in the 1999 national title game. For these efforts, he was named Third-Team All ACC.[4]
[edit]Senior Season (1999-00)
Carrawell then averaged 16.9 points, 6.1 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.6 fouls, 0.9 steals, 2 turnovers, 1.1 blocks, makes 6 of 12.4 filed goals (48%), 0.8 of 2.2 three pointers (36%) and 4.1 of 5.2 free throws (78%) in 35.6 minutes per game in his senior season. Being second in his team in scoring, rebound and assists, Carrawell towed his team to finish with a record of 29-5, win the ACC Tournament championship, a number one seed, and a Sweet 16 stint in the NCAA tournament. He was 2000 ACC Player of the Year with Associated Press and First Team All-American honors.

Speaking of guys who could be All-ACC defenders, Madison Jones and Rountree just dominate on defense. Jones is the only guy on the team in the top 500 in the country in both steal percentage and block percentage.

Where do the other freshmen rate in the Top 500 on Kenpom?

Rountree doesn't qualify because you need to play 40% minutes to qualify, but if he did (he's at 29%) he would be 39th in blocks and 14th in steals.

Nobody else on the team is top 500 in anything besides Devin in blocks (164) and Travis in steals (335)

ETA: Madison is 345th in blocks and 143rd in steals.

Other interesting stats:

Thomas is 301st in offensive rebounding and 79th in defensive rebounding.

CJ is 36th in effective FG% and 14th in true shooting %

Devin, Trav, and CJ are all in the top 110 in FT rate (FTA/FGA)

But Rod was a superstar almost from Day One. It's not a fair comparison.

Back