• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" Hates Creationism

That's the first thing I think of everytime I see threads like this.

She's cool as shit though.

You were acting like time itself was an unreliable measuring stick, so I doubt you were overthinking things.

What do you mean by "assumption of the past"? It's still the working "assumption" of today.

I feel like this is why Bill Nye hates creationism. You can't even engage in discussion on the same terms if you're unwilling to accept certain scientifically tested pretenses. In this case, if you're undermining radiometric testing metrics, I don't know what to tell you about how we understand a lot of the physical universe.

So we can't engage in discussion just because I was questioning how accurate the dating process was? Honestly, as a business major I don't know anything about any of this. I just find it odd that they can throw out numbers in year form and provide a percentage of how accurate it is when no one know how old the earth actually is.

So we can't engage in discussion just because I was questioning how accurate the dating process was? Honestly, as a business major I don't know anything about any of this. I just find it odd that they can throw out numbers in year form and provide a percentage of how accurate it is when no one know how old the earth actually is.

Why is it odd? If your parents didn't tell you when you were born you wouldn't know when you first started on planet Earth, yet you could still use the sun going up and coming down as reliable devices to figure out how many "days" you have been here if you wanted to start counting.

I've heard the "God put carbon dating here as a way to test us" defense before in an actual conversation.

Mrs. Marks(x?) at the Flava for Townie and Numbers.

The Creation Museum tells us that the dinosaurs died out because the food they ate was destroyed by the flood.

So T-Rex died because other dinosaurs died in the flood? Way to be, Noah. You forgot to load up some herbivore dinosaurs, you jackass.

Why is it odd? If your parents didn't tell you when you were born you wouldn't know when you first started on planet Earth, yet you could still use the sun going up and coming down as reliable devices to figure out how many "days" you have been here if you wanted to start counting.

I don't think the life cycle of a human and the life of the earth are comparable.

I don't think the life cycle of a human and the life of the earth are comparable.

They aren't. That was a pretty weak analogy on 27's part, IMO.

However, that way of thinking would explain why Yakubu insists that he isn't 49 years old. He might have just not started counting how many times the sun went up and down in the sky until he was already actually 20 years old. Thus, he thinks he is 29.

How big would the boat have needed to be to house every animal on Earth? I'm sure studies have been done.

It was just a quick analogy (admittedly maybe not the best one).

The point is, just because you weren't around to know when something started doesn't mean that you can't use scientific methods to estimate how long it has been there. Take anything in nature, examine it carefully, study other cases like it (or in this case, things within it), and then run X amount of simulations and tests to come to a reasonable conclusion. That's what carbon dating has done in a nutshell.

I'm sure TW can do a better job of explaining it. I'm just trying to compare it to other things without getting all "sciencey".

They aren't. That was a pretty weak analogy on 27's part, IMO.

However, that way of thinking would explain why Yakubu insists that he isn't 49 years old. He might have just not started counting how many times the sun went up and down in the sky until he was already actually 20 years old. Thus, he thinks he is 29.

Feed the YAK and he will sco...errr, age!

How big would the boat have needed to be to house every animal on Earth? I'm sure studies have been done.

Well, doofus. Here is a true to life scale model. Spoiler because the pic is huge. If you look closely enough, you can see the dinosaurs going up the ramp!

dsc_0078.jpg

I just find it odd that they can throw out numbers in year form and provide a percentage of how accurate it is when no one know how old the earth actually is.

They know how accurate the method is so that know how accurate the dates are. Of course they know the margin of error. They can carbon date things they know the actual age of... over and over and over again and determine the margin of error by how close they are, which is pretty damn close.

Are you saying we can't date anything before our own lifetime?

Yeah the minority 32% compared to straight up creationism 46%. Seriously how are we going to advance as a country when 78% believe in creationism. Now the 32% that believe in evolution with God's help, at least they have a chance. Sure its easy to say we don't know everything, who knows what came before the very beginning then what became before that and so on. However at least those people believe the earth is older than 6,000 years old. Once again though, those are the minority compared to 46% who straight up believe that only 0.0000013% of the actual age of the earth has happened.

It doesn't affect our progress in the least. It's not like these 46% are biologists. Everybody believed in creationism at some point, and yet we somehow managed to progress.

If we suck at science, it's because our schools suck at science and not because somebody chooses to believe that God created man.

It doesn't affect our progress in the least. It's not like these 46% are biologists. Everybody believed in creationism at some point, and yet we somehow managed to progress.

If we suck at science, it's because our schools suck at science and not because somebody chooses to believe that God created man.

I don't think that's true. It's been documented throughout history that at least a subset of people disagreed with it and preferred to look to science for explanations instead. It was just punishable by death up until the past 200 years to do so. That tends to snuff out much rational thought.

I don't think that's true. It's been documented throughout history that at least a subset of people disagreed with it and preferred to look to science for explanations instead. It was just punishable by death up until the past 200 years to do so. That tends to snuff out much rational thought.

Fine, then the "official" belief of everybody was creationism at the risk of conducted heresy. Obviously, somebody had to break the mold. Regardless, the larger point still stands.

I still think that it hurts the overall bottom line in terms of expansion of knowledge through science because it is greatly limiting the amount of potentially intelligent people that could become biologists or scientists that could have a "breakthrough" discovery.

Wouldn't need to hold the animals that could float or swim at least. Space saver.

Would a freshwater flood disrupt saltwater creatures? Or would the saltwater mixing with the freshwater kill the freshwater fishes?

Back