• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill O'Brien to become new HC at PSU

I am glad you put Bill in the thread title, otherwise I would have thought I was having a second Christmas this month.

yup. still needs time to blow over.

Deacinphilly, new to the board? Or did you change names? Where do you live?

no i'd say i have been posting for about 3 years now (including before the civil war) except I have not really been active this past year.

i live out on city ave, used to live downtown. how about you?

Great news, not that I care a lick about who they hired, just glad it wasn't Jim Grobe.

Being a coordinator for Belichick is like winning the lottery. Being associated with him in any way basically lands you a big time head coaching job. I feel like I could go become a volunteer assistant with the Pats and be coaching at Texas within like 8 years. Sh*t is getting ridiculous.

Al Groh
Nick Saban
Jim Scwartz
Charlie Weis
Kirk Ferentz
Pat Hill
Romeo Crennel
Eric Mangini
Josh McDaniel
Bill O'Brien

And I'm probably missing a few... but those are just the former assistants I can remember who have gone on to get head coaching jobs in the NFL, college, or both.

I'm not thrilled about this hire but I also realize it's about the level of experience they were going to be able to get. I forget who, but one of the ESPN analysts last night was saying he talked to several of the candidates and they said Penn state was unable to present a strong reason why they should take the job considering the mess that was there. Basically, PSU went after several others and got rejected before finally getting O'Brien to agree.

That being said, I hope he does well but my expectations are not high for the next few years.

I think it's a solid but unspectacular hire and he has a solid college resume.

GT under O'Leary.
MD under Fridge.
Obviously, Belichick and the Patriots.

PSU will still have the cache in PA, NJ and OH - their most consistent recruiting grounds. At the end of the day, there are plenty of good players who would love to play in front of 100,000+ every week and take on the challenge of bringing them back.

Given the timing and all, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some of the defensive staff remain intact. Tom Bradley has been recruiting for them and still is. O'Brien won't be joining them until the Patriots season ends. The recruiting transition will be a lot better with Bradley being kept on as DC and/or associate head coach.

The names of other candidates got leaked. Grobe was plan C but removed his name from consideration.

Jon Gruden was on board but wanted 7 years 33.5M and and out clause for 3 NFL teams.

Les Miles was interested late but the decision had been made.

Mike Munckak was interested but never offered.

Mark Richt was plan A but his wife didn't want to move. Richt wanted the job.

Interesting.

Last edited:
Back