• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Perhaps this is a joke, but it doesn't seem like a joke, in which case Simmons is an idiot.

I'm old and don't do the twitter, but is this the type of thing where Bill might have meant to DM Jonah and accidentally didn't?

I've gone from a Simmons fan to a Simmons apologist to thinking he might just be a dick. I barely listen to his shit anymore. I remember when he started the Ringer he kept reiterating that it's not going to be the same as Grantland, and me thinking that's a pretty shitty idea since Grantland was tight.

This is either a joke or he's a giant hypocrite because of how much he shits on ESPN for doing that type of stuff

I've stopped paying attention/listening. The ringer articles seemed awful, and I could never get his soundcloud or whatnot links to work on whatever computer I was on so I just stopped trying. Lebatard has replaced him for me, because they do the humor better.

I've gone from a Simmons fan to a Simmons apologist to thinking he might just be a dick. I barely listen to his shit anymore. I remember when he started the Ringer he kept reiterating that it's not going to be the same as Grantland, and me thinking that's a pretty shitty idea since Grantland was tight.

He seems to have gotten bitter the last few years. I don't know if its the departure from ESPN/Grantland or the HBO show fail. His written word is his best stuff, podcasts second. He's not a good TV interviewer, not sure why that was the focus of the HBO show.

Don't like his thin skin when he has ripped a lot of peeps the last decade.

This thread bump was the first time Bill Simmons had popped into my head in quite some time. His career has fallen off a cliff.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I check the Ringer at least once a day. I don't love every writer but there are good pieces generated on that site most every day.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I check the Ringer at least once a day. I don't love every writer but there are good pieces generated on that site most every day.

Agree, and I listen to Simmons podcast. Some really entertaining stuff recently.

I still listen to his podcasts, don't read his stuff anymore. I think that was just such a bitchy tweet to make at Jonah Keri, who appears to be the nicest, most universally well-liked guy in the world. Don't think it was a joke because (a) nothing about it was funny or would indicate it was intended as a joke and (b)he didn't follow up with any kind of clarification that it was a joke after the internet decided it was not a joke and proclaimed Simmons an asshole, nor did Keri tweet anything in response.

There was a deadspin article yesterday about this and in the comments people were posting some other, older similar bitter tweets he sent to the fangraphs guy in the past.

Dude is a great sportswriter/blogger/editor/sportsdoc producer but a lousy tv personality, which is apparently what he thinks he is entitled to be.

No one is great forever though, and he is defs past his prime and clearly not hungry anymore after getting the $20MM from HBO. Listening to the NFL lines podcast was even painful this year with all the factual mistakes he made that he using to support his takes. Poor sidekick sal would always be gently correcting him, but it was just awful.

Just an example, but there were probably 10 or more of these throughout the season. He kept saying that he thought the Saints had an outside shot to make the playoffs because all they had to do was get to 7 wins and then they would host the Falcons in Week 17. The problem was, besides the fact that the Saints were a disaster and it was a dumb argument, was that the week 17 game was in Atlanta, not NO. And for like 4 weeks he repeated that "Gonna be hard for the Falcons to win in New Orleans to close the season."

I mean I dont listen to the guy for sports or gambling advice, but if you are gonna put a product out there, at least TRY to look like you put some effort into it.

Last edited:
I still listen to his podcasts, don't read his stuff anymore. I think that was just such a bitchy tweet to make at Jonah Keri, who appears to be the nicest, most universally well-liked guy in the world. Don't think it was a joke because (a) nothing about it was funny or would indicate it was intended as a joke and (b)he didn't follow up with any kind of clarification that it was a joke after the internet decided it was not a joke and proclaimed Simmons an asshole, nor did Keri tweet anything in response.

Reminds me of Dave Chappelle saying Key & Peele hurt his feelings.

Back