• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bird Poop Thread 1: About Bird Poop !

Yep…but don’t tell that to my brother-in-law who detests mocking birds.

I, otoh, agree with Lee. One of my fondest memories related to birds is the mockingbird that sang its heart out one spring outside our bedroom for multiple nights.

Last edited:

frank-sinatra-what-did-you-say-0kh6cj6z5ej8npvw.webp

Sheesh, that is pretty drastic. I am all for saving a species though. Barred owls are an eastern species that are expanding their range West and invading their close relative spotted owl habitats and either out competing them or interbreeding with them. Eliminating the barred owls from spotted owl range and habitats is probably necessary to save the spotted owl, but such actions would need to be coupled with massive habitat restoration otherwise the barreds will just reinvade again in a decade or two. I should note that this is not the first time FWS has sanctioned massive extermination of one species to save another despite what the article implies. They actively round up and gas hundreds or even thousands of brown headed cowbirds in Michigan and southern California each year to try and save the Kirtland's Warbler and the Least Bell's Vireo. It's a similar situation in that because of massive habitat alterations in the east (deforestation) and southwest (cattle ranching) since the 1800s cowbirds have expanded out of the great plains and across the whole continent. the management been rather successful for Kirtland's Warblers but it was coupled with a massive habitat work to make the BHCB less effective and finding and parasitizing warbler nests. I do find it interesting that there was no such petition to stop the on going cowbird massacres, probably because owls eat tooties pops and cowbirds eat bugs. So, I don't love this plan to kill a ton of owls, but I accept it as a necessity to save Spotted Owls.

Back