• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham, Alabama

timdunkandthefunk

Rusty Larue
Reaction score
Give me a good lunch spot and a good brunch spot. Going to a wedding there and have never been.

I used to do some business at the Barber Motorsport Park in Bham. Those guys always took us to Dreamland BBQ. More of an Alabama icon than drop dead good, but that is all I got.

Dreamland...just one of those places you've gotta go. Ribs and bunny bread.

Also, if you like motorcycles at all, the museum at Barber (mentioned above) is great.

I was down in Birmingham last month with a couple of friends, one of whom was from Birmingham and went to Alabama. We went do to the Alabama spring game ("A" Day).

I would recommend Saw's Soul Kitchen. It's in the Avondale neighborhood which also has the Avondale brewery just a couple doors away. The barbeque is amazing and the sauce is great. Seriously, it's some of the best barbeque I've ever had. Address is 215 41st St. South.

10754832-large.jpg

Birmingham is actually a good food city, but you have to get out of downtown. Dreamland over by UAB's campus is very good.

Birmingham is actually a good food city, but you have to get out of downtown. Dreamland over by UAB's campus is very good.

If you consider Dreamland "good" food then we have a differing opinion on where to go in Birmingham.

IMO, ALL of Birmingham's "good" restaurants (outside of about 3) are in the downtown area. The consensus best 4 restaurants in the city (Highlands, Hot and Hot, Bottega and Ocean) are all within a 5 block walking distance of each other in Southside.

By all means if you are visiting Birmingham stay downtown to eat!!!

Ahh, wakedeac98 is a very wise man. Avoid Dreamland in Birmingham. The original Dreamland is in Tuscaloosa and is truly the best. When they franchised out, the franchisees didn't measure up.

Your question is about lunch and brunch. Your best options are both Frank Stitt operations, Botega and Chez Fon Fon. They are both excellent.

If you have dinner in mind, then you must go in this order to Highland's Bar and Grill, Hot and Hot Fish Club, and Ocean. These are all downtown, southside Birmingham. FYI, Highland's is in the Final Five of the best restaurants in America competition this year.

Dreamland...just one of those places you've gotta go. Ribs and bunny bread.

Also, if you like motorcycles at all, the museum at Barber (mentioned above) is great.

The one worth going to is in T-town.

The one worth going to is in T-town.

Yup, I've been there a few times. That said, if you're looking for something "Alabama" and you're in Birmingham, it is still a great place to go. If you're not looking for something particularly Alabama or for something nicer than ribs and bread, then yes, don't go.

I recall liking the iron dale cafe but its a tourist trap. (If bham can have such a thing.)

I'd recommend Carlile's for barbecue. It's technically in Southside, but not within walking distance from Five Points.

J Clyde is a cool place.

I don't see the need for Dreamland. It's fine but you can find better BBQ.

If you get a chance check out my brah Reed's band Rusty Busters at Innisfree. They're pretty damn good and love getting weird.

Back