• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blackfish (film)

Heard the NPR review last week. Chilling stuff. The fact the dorsal fin goes limp in captivity is a sign something is wrong. I go to SeaWorld fairly regularly and it is a moral dilemma.

How is it a moral dilemma? I only went once, about 30 years ago. It was a pretty easy decision for my wife and I not to go and not to take the kids.

Also, I know a woman who was fired from Sea World as a college student for altering her uniform to make it cuter.

How is it a moral dilemma? I only went once, about 30 years ago. It was a pretty easy decision for my wife and I not to go and not to take the kids.

Also, I know a woman who was fired from Sea World as a college student for altering her uniform to make it cuter.

It is a moral dilemma because he knows he shouldn't go, but DAMN LOOK AT THAT WHALE!!!

I had the DAMN LOOK AT THAT WHALE reaction as a child, but I will never be going back.

Seriously PH, vote with your wallet.

Heard the NPR review last week. Chilling stuff. The fact the dorsal fin goes limp in captivity is a sign something is wrong. I go to SeaWorld fairly regularly and it is a moral dilemma.

yeah, it's so sad. I get so sad when I go to SeaWorld, fairly regularly. lolz dude

It is a moral dilemma because he knows he shouldn't go, but DAMN LOOK AT THAT WHALE!!!

I had the DAMN LOOK AT THAT WHALE reaction as a child, but I will never be going back.

Seriously PH, vote with your wallet.

I have kids with the DAMN LOOK AT THAT WHALE reaction.

I have kids with the DAMN LOOK AT THAT WHALE reaction.

so let them watch planet earth on the discovery channel, and then take them to alaska to see the real thing with the $$ you'd save from not going to seaworld fairly regularly.

Seaworld is boring anyways... let me know when there is a real Jurassic Park.

First heard about this film today because there was a video on CNN that a whale was beached at SeaWorld for about 30 minutes today before any of the trainers came to help it. Seems very sad.

To play devils advocate with Ph, as someone who loves Zoos and aquariums, where is the ethical line? Is it just Orcas because of their size/space needs? Is it performance? Is there any value in generating interest in conservation?

Looking for a real discussion.

The employees at Sea World care as much for the animals as employees at zoos, etc, and certainly more than most rank and file folks. I don't find it particularly fair to punish them or kids who love seeing that by applying Greenpeace mores, but then I don't suppose that would surprise anybody. Capturing any animals in the wild is bound to be an imperfect process.

Intense movie. I could have gone for a little less facetime with the old employees and a little more with actual scientists but it was certainly effective. Some of the videos clips were terrifying.

Back