• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blu-Ray Players

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
Looking for a good blu-ray player hopefully under $100. Have a roku that we use pretty often, so wi-fi and streaming on the blu-ray isn't important to me.

Any recommendations?

I got a Sony one for around $60-80 that I like. I use it for streaming Netflix as well.

I was wondering about Blue Ray players yesterday when I was checking out a Redbox flick. Are they really that much better? They do not seem to be taking over the market of DVD players as quickly as many thought. I do not own one, and not sure what more to expect than what I get on the HDTV and the basic DVD player. I am not a huge Sci-fi movie guy, and I do not have the kickass surround sound, so what am I missing when watching your basic movie.

I can definitely tell a difference and I have a basic HD TV and Blu-Ray player.

I plan on upgrading the sound in the future but with neighbors imagine it might be awhile.

I bought a Samsung Blu-Ray a couple of months ago for $89 (I think), and it's been great. It has wifi and can stream Netflix, Pandora, Youtube, etc. The one that was not wifi was $69 or $79, and it needed a cable for the online stuff. Since you don't need the online stuff the cheaper one would probably work.

My DVD player from college finally crapped out so I bought a Samsung about a 2 years ago. It was before they had come out with the 1080p on Apple TV and I figured that it was probably neccessary to have at least one machine in the house that could actually play a physical disc.

I never use the disc player for movies, only workout vids like Insanity. I do own some blurays and watching a movie on bluray is definitely a noticable upgrade than just HD TV.

Samsung had some weird things with the firmware for a while that was fucking everything up but they straightened it out.

Back