• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boards Outage 9/5-9/7

cookoutdeac

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, sorry we've been out of commision the last couple days.

The TLDR is that our hosting provider basically screwed us over a little bit. They sent us an email back in July (on the 4th) mentioning that their cPanel/Plesk supported installs would no longer be supported starting September 1st. Nowhere in the email did it imply more serious things would happen beyond lack of support if we didn't migrate to their new hosting platform (which came with a significant price increase AND downtime). Fast forward to the 5th and they decided "no longer supported" meant that our server would cease to exist. It completely disappeared from our admin views, was inaccessible from any of our tooling, etc. Despite being invoiced for AND paying for hosting for the next 3 months on August 23rd.

So it's been a hectic few days of correspondonce with them and lo' and behold they were able to restore the server after all. We are in works to migrate to their "new platform" after all but that should only be temporary.

After the bad experience with them and lack of good communication around any of this, we are currently investigating moving to another host (finally) AND finally doing the software swap away from vBulletin as well. So there will likely be more downtime tonight if that happens. I'm eager to get things up and running confidently again before games this weekend so that is the goal. If it seems like that will not be feasible then we will probably hang out on this older software/hosts just for the time being and continue work on it again next week.

Before any migration is done we have to pause all boards activity and put a banner up, so it will be readily apparent if we are working on that. I'll try and leave the boards up for most of the day while I'm doing "real job" work but just wanted to set expectations correctly.

Thanks for your patience! 10 years on this host (based out of the UK) and 10 years old vbulletin software has meant for a more painful experience than we'd like for y'all over the last few years. I can't wait to get to a US based host with a more modern platform (one where multi-quote and editing of posts works without fail).

USA!!! USA!!!

Sometimes I wonder why we even pay your salaries.

:)

Thanks for getting things back up.

We all owe Cookout a beer for the work he put in on this.

Whatever platform we switch to make it better than the 247 software because that sucked.

So have we moved off the vBulletin software now ?

I'm guessing the board would look different if we had.

Thanks for the great work you guys do. I thought it was something RJ said......

So have we moved off the vBulletin software now ?

I'm guessing the board would look different if we had.

Not yet. Cookout is going to run a test on migrating our database to new software, most likely tonight. The boards will be "paused" with a banner up indicating so.

Thanks for the great work you guys do. I thought it was something RJ said......

LOL, no. But I can guarantee that idiot would have thought he got a virus from this mess.

This is what happens when you pocket 90% of the donations and go with Hamster Wheel Hosting...

Only kidding, thanks for all the hard work.

This is what happens when you pocket 90% of the donations and go with Hamster Wheel Hosting...

Only kidding, thanks for all the hard work.

We spent all of it firewalling this place against RJ.

Back