• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boards Swimming Thread

rjequalsmj

Reaction score
So I started swimming pretty recently because I needed some kind of low impact exercise to do and I am really digging it. I would like to get good but I'm not really sure what I am doing as I quit the swim team before high school. I figured there has to be some swimmers on the boards, does anybody know any good websites/programs/advice to help a n00b like myself.

I hang out with a lot of recently graduated DIII swimmers. They love talking about this stuff and I have no idea what any of it means. Needless to say, I've never been interested or good at swimming.

Most of them even coach now. I'm sure I could get some advice for you if you'd like.

So I started swimming pretty recently because I needed some kind of low impact exercise to do and I am really digging it. I would like to get good but I'm not really sure what I am doing as I quit the swim team before high school. I figured there has to be some swimmers on the boards, does anybody know any good websites/programs/advice to help a n00b like myself.

Your boss's brother swam at Wake and coaches in Winston now.

Your boss's brother swam at Wake and coaches in Winston now.

Wake doesn't even have a swim team anymore, do they? My form is pretty solid I was a dec swimmer as a kid just trying to up my speed and stamina. There was this chick at the pool the other day that I thought was going to drown her form fell apart so badly.

Wake doesn't even have a swim team anymore, do they? My form is pretty solid I was a dec swimmer as a kid just trying to up my speed and stamina. There was this chick at the pool the other day that I thought was going to drown her form fell apart so badly.

No swim team anymore. He coaches a HS team (can't remember which HS).

learn to love intervals. set your time, and hold yourself to it. (ie: 10 100s on the 1:30)

you could start with something like this. should help provide some guidance on creating a swim work out. mix it up so you don't get board. long swims and short, fast sprints should both be incorporated. like mentioned above use the interval clock or watch. many competition/practice pools might have one on deck.

google some sources to help with proper technique. you will only get so fast with poor technique. in generic terms i like to do something like

long warm up swim(s). on non-stop longer distance (500 y/m for instance) or maybe 3 x 200 (slow, speed up, medium) i would even look up some stroke technique drills you can practice here during warm up.
kick set (with kick board)

mid distance e.g. 10 x 100, 5 x 200, keep a good med-fast pace that you can hold with very little rest. 10-30 seconds. again use variety. 2 sets of 10 x 100. first set might be 10 seconds rest between at a good brisk pace that you can maintain. second set maybe go fast pace that you can maintain with more rest in between. maybe 30 seconds. the more you swim the more you will be comfortable knowing that you can hold 10 x 100 on a 1:30 interval and watch the clock etc.

recovery swim (200 or so) you can go slow, just maintain proper form. this will help move lactic acid etc through your muscles while allowing you to cool down and prepare for next set

kick set - 200 warm up kick 5 x 50 or 10 x 50 with rest intervals similar to above

recovery swim

my last set would be short distance 25 or 50 m/y. more rest as fast as you can go with proper technique. maybe 1-3 minutes between and as you get better drop the rest time a little.

long cool down swim. 200-500 yd at least.

kick kick kick. a good kick is far more important that the average person realizes when it comes to swimming. a good strong kick will propel you forward but it will also mean you will not need to use your arms to pull you out of the water since you will already be there. you will be able to use your arms to push you forward.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/swim-cgi/

http://www.swimplan.com/

ok...get in the water, swim to the other end of the pool, turn around and repeat.

you're welcome!

J/K...swam in HS, deaconson has some good info. kick boards suck but they will make you use your legs and improve your times.

Last edited:
Back