• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bob McDonnell, Wife Indicted On Federal Corruption Charges

Wasn't the word that they didn't do anything illegal according to state law?

The law and the prison system are rapidly eliminating Republican candidates for 2016.

ETA: I'm sure Democrats pull the same shit.

Both George Allen and McDonnell were considered potential GOP presidential nominees before they spontaneously combusted in VA. How many drummers did Spinal Tap lose in VA?

McDonnell is an idiot, and this press conference isn't helping.

He's delusional.

If it was all legal, why did you pay the money back Bob? You can't be re-elected.

Nice, he worked Obama into his speech.

Last edited:
Just read the indictment (43 pages). I recommend reading it. I believe they have less on Bob and more on Maureen, and the theory around here is he rejected the offered plea deal because he thinks he can beat it but in the process it won't go so well for her. So much for marital harmony.

From what I understand, it's not illegal to receive gifts as a VA pol, but it is illegal to return the favor via a quid pro quo. So in a nutshell, the McDonnells are deep in credit card debt and have under water properties in VA Beach (sounds like Maureen has serious spending issues). So the Star Scientific CEO, Williams, gives them free flights in his private plane, free golf outings, gives them cash to cater their daughter's wedding and gives Bob paperless loans in excess of $100K. One problem they both have is not disclosing the Star Scientific stock and the loans from Williams on the state forms that they had to sign. And they threw banquets featuring Williams hawking Anatablock for state officials and UVA and MCV officials to try to get them to do an expensive study for 2 Star Scientific products, which Williams wanted done by a 3rd party agency so it would come across as more legit. And Bob and Maureen both promoted Anatabloc to various officials. Throw in some state officials telling them they should be careful with these activities and a brokerage guy telling Maureen she couldn't change her account name like she wanted to conceal her Star Scientific stock.

Whether he gets convicted of all, some or none, I'm surprised he allowed himself to be this sloppy to hawk openly Star Scientific's products and not fill out the disclosure forms completely (you always disclose). Wouldn't be surprised if there is a divorce and bankruptcy in their futures. It's a shame for him because ex govs usually land cushy jobs at big firms (I don't think George Allen was at McGuire Woods for his legal acumen). And now he likely won't get that opportunity. From what I've heard he wasn't a bad guy to work with - was certainly no Kookinelli. As for Maureen, I think she's going down, and this process will not be flattering to her. Whoever is doing their criminal defenses should make sure they get paid up front.

Just read the indictment (43 pages). I recommend reading it. I believe they have less on Bob and more on Maureen, and the theory around here is he rejected the offered plea deal because he thinks he can beat it but in the process it won't go so well for her. So much for marital harmony.

From what I understand, it's not illegal to receive gifts as a VA pol, but it is illegal to return the favor via a quid pro quo. So in a nutshell, the McDonnells are deep in credit card debt and have under water properties in VA Beach (sounds like Maureen has serious spending issues). Wouldn't be surprised if there is a divorce and bankruptcy in their futures. It's a shame for him because ex govs usually land cushy jobs at big firms (I don't think George Allen was at McGuire Woods for his legal acumen). And now he likely won't get that opportunity. From what I've heard he wasn't a bad guy to work with - was certainly no Kookinelli. As for Maureen, I think she's going down, and this process will not be flattering to her. Whoever is doing their criminal defenses should make sure they get paid up front.

Seems like a pretty flimsy case if they were willing to drop all charges against Maureen for a single guilty plea from Bob. By blowing it off, he's completely thrown Maureen under the bus.

I think he refused the plea because he would have a felony on his record and end a shot at the White House. Obviously that is out of the question now but it was still a possibility when he declined.

Seems like a pretty flimsy case if they were willing to drop all charges against Maureen for a single guilty plea from Bob. By blowing it off, he's completely thrown Maureen under the bus.

This. Bob knows his political career is over and wants to get started on the Joe Morrissey plan for nailing 19 year olds...once his wife is in prison.

This. Bob knows his political career is over and wants to get started on the Joe Morrissey plan for nailing 19 year olds...once his wife is in prison.

Joe Morrissey, hadn't heard that name in a while. He still getting in fist fights in Richmond courtrooms?

And yeah, Bob's political career was over over a year ago. But if he wants to practice law, he's not going to want that felony on his record. With the $$ problems they have, how else is he going to earn a living? And after rejecting that plea, I gotta think there ain't a whole lot of domestic tranquility in the McDonnell household.

Joe Morrissey, hadn't heard that name in a while. He still getting in fist fights in Richmond courtrooms?

And yeah, Bob's political career was over over a year ago. But if he wants to practice law, he's not going to want that felony on his record. With the $$ problems they have, how else is he going to earn a living? And after rejecting that plea, I gotta think there ain't a whole lot of domestic tranquility in the McDonnell household.

Excellent post

ETA: Haven't seen Joe in a while, but...

Back