• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bob Staak vs. Jeff Bzdelick

My freshman year was the last year before the Joel so I had the privilege of driving to Gboro to watch Staak lose games like the 4 OT one vs State. To be honest, I would view both tenures as equally bad but expectations and media exposure are much higher now for Bzz than they were for Staak.

I will never forget that State ACC game. Muggsy hits a 3 with like 30 seconds left that would have clinched the game for us and sent us to the ACC finals. Lenny Wirtz comes flying in in typical Lenny Wirtz fashion to wave it off. Replays show the ball clearly left Muggsy's hand before the shot clock hit zero.

State goes on to upset UNC and win the ACCT.

Bob Staak was snakebit. The dude could not catch a break anywhere, anytime, about anything. Charley Thomas transferred to New Mexico. Mike Scott got homesick. Robert Siler blew out his knee, as did Daric Keyes. Staak had to start walk-on Alan Williams. He was up 3 with :03 left on NCSU, and played them straight up - Vinny Del Negro drains a 30 footer to tie, and they beat us in OT. Later, in ACC tournament, we are up 3 with :03 left on NCSU and this time we foul them before the shot. They make and miss a FT, and the rebound rims out parallel to the baseline where Rodney Monroe swishes the game tying shot. We lost in 3 OT (or was it 4?). No wonder he drank. The best thing Staak did (outside of beating highly ranked UNC and Duke) was recruit Chris King, who later found Duncan for Odom.

This is true. Arthur Larkins also suffered an injury that ended his career. Rod Watson transferred. Lost something like 5 OT games one year.

Alan Dickens was the walk-on. And Christ Kind didn't really "find" Duncan. He told Odom that there was a kid in the islands that he should check out.

Bob Staak was snakebit. The dude could not catch a break anywhere, anytime, about anything. Charley Thomas transferred to New Mexico. Mike Scott got homesick. Robert Siler blew out his knee, as did Daric Keyes. Staak had to start walk-on Alan Williams. He was up 3 with :03 left on NCSU, and played them straight up - Vinny Del Negro drains a 30 footer to tie, and they beat us in OT. Later, in ACC tournament, we are up 3 with :03 left on NCSU and this time we foul them before the shot. They make and miss a FT, and the rebound rims out parallel to the baseline where Rodney Monroe swishes the game tying shot. We lost in 3 OT (or was it 4?). No wonder he drank. The best thing Staak did (outside of beating highly ranked UNC and Duke) was recruit Chris King, who later found Duncan for Odom.

Those are different games and different seasons. The 4 OT against State was a regular season game in 1989.

We did lose like that to NCSU in '87 regular season and then in OT in the '87 ACC Tourney but Rodney Monroe didn't play for State until the next year.

#4 or #6

After year 1, MIRACULOUSLY, Rodney Rogers signed on the dotted line to attend WFU. Remember, Rogers DOMINATED the McDonalds AA game with some ridiculous dunks over Shawn Bradley (dude was actually trying to play D). That video exists --- need to go find it.

Add him to Chris King/McQueen/Tucker transfers in and top 100 Randolph Childress recruit is actually more like a 5 star recruit...and we had a BALL CLUB.

I have no Agenda with this thread. I created it out of pure curiosity.

A lot of posters compare BZ's tenure to the Staak years. I was not around during the Staak years and really know nothing about his tenure except that he lost a lot of games and never had a winning season just like BZ. I guess what I am asking for is context. How do the tenures compare?

I know the ACC was a lot more competitive during his years. So specifically:

1. Was he routinely blown out in ACC games?
2. What was his personality like? Was he socially awkward and standoffish or was he engaging?
3. What was our OOC like? Did we play competitive teams? Did he ever have any OOC waterloo's like Bz's Stetson or Presbo?
4. What was recruiting like?
5. What was attendance like?
6. How was Odom able to turn things around so fast, record wise?

#2: He was a pretty engaging dude. It has been joked here that Village Tavern wept when he was fired. And he was doing a cheerleader at one point; think Bz could come close to pulling that off?

Attendance sucked but not fair to compare since we played our "big" games in GSO and the others in a then dumpy Memorial Coliseum.

I felt like we competed; the Staak era sucked but the Bz era is much worse in my opinion.

Both terrible

Who brought Tucker in, Staak or Odom? He was a bad, bad man. Vastly under appreciated as a great deacon.

From Sports-reference.com

Bob Staak had an average SRS (simple rating system) of 4.66 in 114 games at Wake. His best team was his last one that went 13-15 (3-11) with an SRS of 8.12 (against a strength of schedule rated 8.37). His worst team was his first with an SRS of 1.39.

Jeff [Redacted] has an average SRS of 1.15 in 118 games at Wake. His best team was his last that so far is 14-11 (4-8) with an SRS of 6.37 (SOS 4.99). His worst team was his first with an SRS of -4.43.

As a reference point: The 2006-2007 team (Ish's freshman year) had an SRS of 6.08.

Using the SRS to rank the last 35 Wake teams [Redacted] comes in with:

I think Tucker was a transfer from G-Town under Odom.

Tucker transferred to Wake Staak's last year, but wasn't eligible until Odom's first.
Staak was a better coach than Bz - I always felt like we had a chance to win a game against a ranked team before it started. His teams were much more snake bit than Buzz - the NCSU up 3 point was a perfect example. Also, the game where Muggy's 3 got waived off in the ACC Tourney was a killer.
Attendance was hard to measure with Staak because we didn't have the Joel. G'boro was a haul. The Coliseum was fairly full, but it was much smaller. It did get loud in there though.

Honestly, I'd put Staak's teams up against any of Buzz's and bet on Staak. I don't think Buzz could stop Ralph Kitley. And Cal Boyd could shoot the 3.

#2: He was a pretty engaging dude. It has been joked here that Village Tavern wept when he was fired. And he was doing a cheerleader at one point; think Bz could come close to pulling that off?

Attendance sucked but not fair to compare since we played our "big" games in GSO and the others in a then dumpy Memorial Coliseum.

I felt like we competed; the Staak era sucked but the Bz era is much worse in my opinion.

I have nothing more to add to this other than we had the occasional crazy win over a quality opponent. With Buzz, other than a Carolina team that shouldn't have been ranked and Miami last season, that's not the case.

Which one was worse? Ask these guys.

$(KGrHqN,!gsE0v9klg4FBN(v6czY)g~~_35.JPG
513d0c5de1887.image.jpg

not only was the ACC much stronger from top to bottom, staak also had the unfair advantage of having his teams wear spot-bilt and pony sneakers. bz gets pimped-out nike CP3 kicks as a recruiting edge....

Back