• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bobby Cremins retiring

slothrop

Reaction score
After six seasons at CofC, where he compiled a 132-72 record. After coming out of retirement the first time, he brought CofC back to respectability. Mark Byington expected to take over as HC, and it should be a good fit. He is CofC's top assistant & recruiter and has ACC ties.

When I talked to Byington back in February after he took over, he said Cremins was doing a lot better, though, for what it's worth. Just an appropriate time to call it quits for good. He's already got two courts named after him.

When I talked to Byington back in February after he took over, he said Cremins was doing a lot better, though, for what it's worth. Just an appropriate time to call it quits for good. He's already got two courts named after him.

If he moves to Winston Salem, he can have a 3rd named after him.

I always get him and Lutz confused for some reason.

Jay Bilas ‏ @JayBilas Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
If ADs have a head coaching job open, they should call NC State assistant Bobby Lutz. No search committee needed. Lutz can really coach.

Doesn't Jay know that Bobby is already a candidate for every job in NCAA D-1, D-2, NAIA, forty-four JCs and seven European leagues?

Why all the hate for Bobby Lutz on this board? I just don't get it.

Sad to see him go, it was surreal looking down from the stands in Fleming Gym at UNC-G when the G played COC. Really cool to see a living legend coaching against Fran & Dement.

My last year of coaching I found a kid that no one else was on that I thought was going to be really good...short shooting guard out of high school who could really fill it up, but was being overlooked because of his size. I had him lined up to sign but my head coach wanted to wait since no one else was on him...wanted to see if we could get someone better. Cremins got the job at COC and had several scholarships to fill...found out about my guy and ended up beating us in a recruiting battle.

Andrew Goudelock, current NBA player. Would have been a game changer for the school I worked at, and instead he went on to set all kinds of scoring records for Cremins. I remember my exact words to the head coach I worked for: "Cremins is sniffing around, if it comes down to me vs. Cremins we are gonna lose. We need to offer and get this done." We waited, we lost. I had several opportunities to speak with Cremins over the years. Very down to earth guy, and a brilliant coach. Hate to hear that he is having health problems.

Wrangor, nice story, and everything I've always heard about Bobby has been that he is an absolutely great guy. And was a very good recruiter. But "brilliant coach"? "Why didn't you press earlier?" "That was Rutland who went down?" I'd always heard that he relied heavily on assistants during games. Very much like Pete Gillen.

Yeah, I was sitting behind the Tech bench once and Steve Ray came in for Wake. Cremins turns to one of his assistants and asks, "Can this Ray kid shoot?" Unfortunately the immediate answer was a resounding "No!"

I am extremely honored to have been an undergraduate at CofC during the Cremins years. Very sad to see him go, but I have no doubt that it is for the best.

Back