• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boeing and Machinists in Washington State Reach Deal...

Learn what a Right-to-Work state is and then come back to me.

Right-to-work laws are statutes enforced in twenty-two U.S. states, mostly in the southern or western U.S., allowed under provisions of the federal Taft–Hartley Act, which prohibit agreements between labor unions and employers that make membership, payment of union dues, or fees a condition of employment, either before or after hiring, which would require the workplace to be a closed shop.

Agree or disagree?

"Right to Work" doesn't mean you can't unionize. It doesn't mean you can't colelctive bargain. All it means is that you can't be forced to join a union if you choose not to. Companies like BMW, Michelin, and Bridgestone have taken care of their workers and don't have to worry about their folks unionizing.

This is such an intellectually dishonest argument.

What is intellectually dishonest about SCDeac's post?

Last edited:
I hate this paternalistic bs. It is an American right to collectively bargain for greater rights and wages in the workplace. I entirely disagree that they "prefer" to have essentially no rights to organize in their workplace. People in SC vote Republican because they are socially conservative; the crap that comes along with conservative economic theory just happens to be a negative consequence of voting for candidates that oppose abortion, gay marriage, etc.

Really? This is your argument. Yes, many people in SC are conservative. I'm from SC, my family lives in SC, and everyone I know in SC voted for candidates that wanted to make it a right to work state because it creates jobs. For you to say its a "negative consequence" of their ignorance is absurd... and ignorant (and arrogant for that matter). I have a hard time seeing how creating thousands and thousands of jobs is a negative consequence.

This is such an intellectually dishonest argument.

It's actually spot on.

And when a plant does choose to unionize they can reap what they sow. There was a Mack Trucks plant here in Winnsboro, SC. They unionized and after a few years of ongoing labor strife Mack shuttered the plant and shipped the work to Mexico.

Really? This is your argument. Yes, many people in SC are conservative. I'm from SC, my family lives in SC, and everyone I know in SC voted for candidates that wanted to make it a right to work state because it creates jobs. For you to say its a "negative consequence" of their ignorance is absurd... and ignorant (and arrogant for that matter). I have a hard time seeing how creating thousands and thousands of jobs is a negative consequence.

+1....there's a reason why all of the foreign auto makers aren't putting their plants in Big D and are instead choosing sunbelt states.

Like I said...it was mentioned by one person. You said it was BS and then proceeded to argue something TOTALLY different about how unionizing is a right and something that SC workers are being deprived of, going so far as to suggest that people of SC only put up with not being unionized because they don't want things like gay marriage. :tard: None of the discussion since has had anything to do with appreciation of jobs, so stop pretending like that's what you are arguing.

That said, I think the people of SC do understand that they are benefiting themselves with great jobs from great companies by not being a pain in the ass. In that sense, yes, they do appreciate their employment more because they appreciate the companies that are bringing jobs to their State rather than running around with an air of entitlement, screaming about being wronged when a company chooses to place heir facility somewhere else. They don't see their employer as the enemy, which, in turn, allows the employer to not treat them as enemies either.

You're right. We should all bow down to our corporate overlords. How dare labor unions be a "pain in the ass" in order to get better wages and rights in the workplace.

Again, what "rights" do union employees get in the workplace today that are not available to non-union employees?

You're right. We should all bow down to our corporate overlords. How dare labor unions be a "pain in the ass" in order to get better wages and rights in the workplace.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. :wtftard: If modern unions actually did for their workers what your dreamland vision of them suggests, I doubt their would be so much negativity towards them, from workers and employers alike, in a good portion of the country.

South Carolina is 46th in unemployment rate as of October 2011.

You're right, we should pay some asshole union reps to come in and save us... SC's unemployment issues go much farther back than right to work. Namely the decline in the domestic textile industry. Even more so because there has never been industry within the state to begin with (see civil war) (no North vs South plug there just stating a fact).

Which brings me back around to why political action was taken to help attract industry.

You're right, we should pay some asshole union reps to come in and save us... SC's unemployment issues go much farther back than right to work. Namely the decline in the domestic textile industry. Even more so because there has never been industry within the state to begin with (see civil war) (no North vs South plug there just stating a fact).

Which brings me back around to why political action was taken to help attract industry.

I'm also pretty sure that SC has been a right-to-work state since the early 1950s.

With one of the fastest falling unemployment rates in the country. Probably some very happy voters in that state.

Sooo... right after the civil war ended??? no? ok.

No, but unless you're in your 60s or 70s (which you very well might be), you don't know anyone who voted for SC to become a right-to-work state as you said earlier.

Haha, touche. I wonder if Obama will get any of the credit...

Why should he? The decline in unemployment in that state is directly attributable to the voters in SC making decisions that made that state very desirable for businesses seeking to create jobs.

No, but unless you're in your 60s or 70s (which you very well might be), you don't know anyone who voted for SC to become a right-to-work state as you said earlier.

You're really reaching for something here. You are right I am not 60 or 70. However, my being 'not 60 or 70' does not exempt me from knowing those who are. Can we get this discussion back to something that is in some way relative to something relevant. :thumbsup:

Why should he? The decline in unemployment in that state is directly attributable to the voters in SC making decisions that made that state very desirable for businesses seeking to create jobs.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...they're still 46th in unemployment rate (hovering over 10%). I was just kidding about Obama.

It's also not like SC has had sweeping elections to bring Republicans into power; they've held the governorship for all but 4 of the past 25 years. The SC House has been Republican controlled since 1996 and the SC Senate has been controlled by Republicans since 2000. Where credit lies, so should blame.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...they're still 46th in unemployment rate (hovering over 10%). I was just kidding about Obama.

It's also not like SC has had sweeping elections to bring Republicans into power; they've held the governorship for all but 4 of the past 25 years. The SC House has been Republican controlled since 1996 and the SC Senate has been controlled by Republicans since 2000. Where credit lies, so should blame.

The Senate is actually still majority Dems who switched parties to survive reelection and from 2002-2010 the governor was actually a libertarian. During those 8 years state govt. was pretty much as divided as you can get.

Back