• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Book recommendation basic strength training

Brangus

Reaction score
I just joined a gym as daily running has caused some knee damage and I also want to strength train along with cardio. However, it's an LA Fitness, and while the gym is new and nice the trainers are expensive, pushy and not available when I need them (just after 5 AM).

I bounced around Amazon but didn't have much luck and confused myself. I am looking for a book that will provide a basic workout for upper and lower body on machines, not freeweights. I can do some curls and dumbbell work but don't have a buddy that will get up at that hour so no spotting partner available for bench and squats and all that.

I am just looking to strength train, tone and get more fit. Don't want to bulk up.

Any suggestions? Website suggestions are also welcome.

You're still in Tampa, right? You should check out Orange Theory. I think all the local sites have early morning classes. Mine has a 5:00 class. Let me know if you want more info. It's been great for me.

I don't know who started the breath tags, but they are fucking gold.

This post is to "this" this. You don't need a spotter for free weights, just use the safety pins and don't work beyond exhaustion. The book in that link is the bible for basic lifts.

Thanks to buckets and DeacHead.

Edited to note: It's been 15 years since I last bench pressed, and I always had a spotter so I never used pins. Youtube to the rescue and I'll get the knuckleheads at the gym to help me set it up the first time so I don't "pin" myself and #sternumcrush. (Yeah I'm a dumbass noob but maybe this will help out other ignorants who have stayed wisely silent).

Last edited:
charles-barkley-shakeweight.gif

Back